Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't contact Landlord/Letting Agent to get keys.

Options
  • 23-01-2010 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Myself and my girlfriend signed a lease agreement 2 weeks ago to move into a new apartment on the 24th January (tomorrow). We were told to contact the letting agent before the move in day to get the keys.
    We decided to try and pick up the keys yesterday as we presumed he wouldn't be able to meet us on a Sunday, but despite numerous calls and texts we have yet to receive any reply.
    If we are not able to move in on the day agreed, what's our legal position? Do we not have to pay the full weeks rent? Luckily we have places to stay if we can't get the keys in time, but I imagine this would be a bad situation for someone that didn't.
    Also, what do we do if the lack of response from the letting agent continues?
    Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Myself and my girlfriend signed a lease agreement 2 weeks ago to move into a new apartment on the 24th January (tomorrow). We were told to contact the letting agent before the move in day to get the keys.
    How much of a deposit have you paid? Also, google the letting agents name, and put the word "scam" after them, to check if you get any hits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 NaDamantaSam

Thanks for the reply.
    Tried looking up the guys name online and got another number for him. Tried calling it but again no reply. In the last few minutes my girlfriend has gotten a call back from some woman, secretary perhaps, saying the letting agent has had swine flu, hence the lack of replies, and that she will try and get the keys and call us back in the morning.
    Problem somewhat solved, for now at least!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Strange that alternate arrangements for running the office weren't put into place (unless its a one-man-show). Do let us know what happens......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Even if it was a one man show he seems to have a secratary.

That would throw up a warning flag for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Pop into the local Garda station, and check if he's legit, or if they have had any complaints about this sort of carry-on.

Also, pop around to the house, and see is anyone living there now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 NaDamantaSam

Tis all sorted now and in the apartment.
    As I had said, the guy had gotten swine flu so he was out of contact with a lot of people. As far as I know, he's still in hospital sick. I think a working partner of his eventually got back to us and helped with everything so we managed to move in on time in the end.
    No scams or anything exciting to report I'm afraid, thanks for the tips though!

Advertisement