Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulling the plug

Options
  • 23-01-2010 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

I'm not going to go into specific names or places here but I have decided to pull the plug on a comedy club that I was running up until last month.

The reason, just one - <MOD SNIP>.

Never before have I dealt with a company that are so rude and so blatant with their "we don't give a **** attitude". They won't answer phones, won't return calls on the rare occasion when they do answer and fob you off. You enquire about an act...let's say <MOD SNIP> for example...now..this is a situation where you are a customer and you are going to them to give them your money...and they make you jump through hoops.

<MOD SNIP> will of course tell you that they are just looking after their clients. The same clients who, before they signed with them, were hitching lifts all over the country doing whatever gigs they could to earn a bit of money, and along the way giving out that nobody gives comedy, and young comedians a chance.

Last month, <MOD SNIP> sent someone down to our venue to see if it was suitable for one of its clients. This is a large enough bar that plays to 300 people on friday nights for live music...was doing 80-100 on thursday nights for comedy and is in a lovely area. It's also a new enough bar so looks pristine. The man they sent down couldn't be happier with the place and said it was spot on. "No bother there lads"

He goes back...we get a call (after getting posters done up etc)...not going to happen. No reason given.

So, they string us along for about 2 weeks (we'll send someone down to look at the place, we can't give you a date though) all the while, the date provisionally agreed gets closer and closer..they don't care about promotion and marketing obviously.

So, i'm no longer going to support comedy in this country...Why should I pay good money (and dinner) to a young comic...support him...spread the word about him (or her)...and then...a year down the line he becomes fairly popular, makes an appearance on TV and signs up with <MOD SNIP>...and then is no longer allowed to work in my bar.

I'm sure most of you will disagree with a lot of my above comments, but I think unless something is done, this one company is going to kill the Stand Up Comedy Industry in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I don't see the big problem. And you're not doing yourself any favours by coming into a widely read forum giving out about one of the Country's main comedy agencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Don't you worry about me. I'm hoping they read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

Hi op

First you have balls....
    second you are bang on the nail....
    Dont give up....this has happened time and time again....and the more people like you give up means less likelly talent will get through....

\mod hat on

Please don't "name and shame" people/companies on boards.

\mod hat off
    thats what Joe Duffy's there for :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Mungaman

Hang on a second I am sure everyone knows who he is talking about here but why was it sniped?

Comedians names are up here venue names are up here and poo slinging going on all over the show. Just read the "Your Favourite Comedians" posts or "I can't stand this guy" etc etc.

Danny

• Advertisement

\Mod hat on

Mungaman, I snipped the thread as what was printed could be seen as damaging to a certain business and after that bad for boards. I will not allow slander on this forum. I will allow an opinion. Such as "Stand up x is god awful"

If you have any problems with my moderation, please contact the C-mods by PM, kbannon, trout or AlmightyCushion

The difference between slander and opinion is usually applied by a judge.

Abouttobebanned mate I'm not sure what venue you are currently involved in but I for one am extremely distressed to see that because of the "SNIPed" company your pulling out of comedy.

I have never personally had dealings with the company myself. I do however run my own monthly comedy club and have survived without booking any of their acts at all.

Ireland is awash with great talent and so is the uk for £13.95 flights. Don't pull your gigs over one supplier. Would you do that with any other part of your business?

If your main food supplier drove there prices in such away or used similar business techniques you would find alternatives.

I know this isn't exactly like for like but you really should reconsider.
    Please fell free to PM to exchange details if there is anything I can do to help which would lead to you not pulling out of the Irish comedy scene.

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I find this thread hard to believe. I know the promoter mentioned has a stranglehold on the Irish comedy scene, but I also know that their acts are not restricted to only playing big venues like Vicar Street. The majority of them regularly do smaller gigs in bars and local theatres.

I honestly suspect there's more to this than the OP is letting on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

eth0_ wrote: »
    I find this thread hard to believe. I know the promoter mentioned has a stranglehold on the Irish comedy scene, but I also know that their acts are not restricted to only playing big venues like Vicar Street. The majority of them regularly do smaller gigs in bars and local theatres.

I honestly suspect there's more to this than the OP is letting on.

Then you would be wrong.

This company decided, for reasons only known to them, that this venue, which had been good enough to host comedy nights every week for many other comedians was in fact good enough to host their comedians...and then it wasn't anymore.

There really isn't anymore to it, as much as you would like to think there is.

Mungaman, I appreciate your comments, but people -in our town anyway - were calling out for some bigger acts every now and again. it just so happened that the acts they were asking for belonged to this company.

question, do you know of any comedians out there that have refused to be part of this agency? I'd like to hear of them if there are. Personally I believe they'd all jump at the chance of working with them...and that pees me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

question, do you know of any comedians out there that have refused to be part of this agency? I'd like to hear of them if there are. Personally I believe they'd all jump at the chance of working with them...and that pees me off.

this is where you should look http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=185655441560&ref=mf&v=info#/group.php?gid=285602723144&ref=mf its a group of "established up and coming" comedians who refuse to deal with that agency (alot of them have been f*cked over by that agency so the yare in the same boat as you)

• Advertisement

Hi Abouttobebanned,

I echo your sentiments with the punters want a bigger name. The one thing that I have found is that the availability of the bigger Irish acts and a full house is very promising.

Just to reiterate I haven't had business dealings with this company. I do however know a couple of their acts and all are extremely nice guys. To answer you question do I know people that have turned them down - yes and I also know one or two who left. Not everyone aims to be picked up by an agency but don't forget from the performers point of view they can propel talent up the ladder. How they are treated and how they treat clients is not something I would delve into here but you have clearly stated from your side how you feel.

Taking a break from comedy gigs may be what the venue needs and starting again with a fresh approach.
    As I mentioned before send me a pm and anything I can do to help or bang a few ideas around.

Cheers Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I know people who have worked for the company mentioned and they are very, very decent people. I wouldn't take it to heart, you need a tough skin in this game and you need to take a lot of no's, rejections and just plain being ignored. It's part and parcel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 plug socket

we are the manufacturer of industrial plug and industrial socket.
    Plugs and sockets for heavy duty

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

we are the manufacturer of industrial plug and industrial socket.
    Plugs and sockets for heavy duty

Funniest thing i've read on this forum in ages :D

Advertisement