Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Self Checks NCT

Options
  • 23-01-2010 1:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

I have the nct on monday..and i was going to give the car a good look over tomorrow..im just wondering what you can check..other than lights and oil levels and other fluids..is there anything else you can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

There used to be a list of everything they check on www.ncts.ie, not sure whether it's still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

make sure the reg plates are ok with baile atha clia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

I have the nct on monday..and i was going to give the car a good look over tomorrow..im just wondering what you can check..other than lights and oil levels and other fluids..is there anything else you can do?

It's worth taking look at the NCT test manual, it covers all the items they check. You'll be able to sort some things before the test http://www.ncts.ie/pdf/nctmanual.pdf

Test manual mentions a few dashboard lights e.g. speedo
    Number plates clean and legal.
    Give the car a quick wash, in particular wash off caked-on mud from underbody.
    Remove hubcaps if they cover wheel nuts.
    Tyre pressure correct (can affect headlight alignment if back tyres too soft).
    Spare tyre present.
    Remove child seats if any.
    Remove junk from boot.
    Have anti-slip grips on brake and clutch pedals.
    Go for a bit of a spin on the way to the test to get engine up to temp.
    If diesel take it for a spin at fairly high revs to clear out any soot lying in the exhaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

massy086 wrote: »
    make sure the reg plates are ok with baile atha clia
    Only on a D reg ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

Sorry for silly question but anyone can tell me what means this d reg (i would like to buy a car and there is something like that in add) but im not familiar with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mister Tickle

thanks guy's...thats very helpful. much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭James.

devil-80 wrote: »
    Sorry for silly question but anyone can tell me what means this d reg (i would like to buy a car and there is something like that in add) but im not familiar with that.

d it means the car was registed in dublin.
    each county has a different letter or letters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Milo

anyone can tell me what means this d reg (i would like to buy a car and there is something like that in add) but im not familiar with that

This link is to the wiki about car registration numbers in Ireland.

Some people will only buy a car with their own county letters on it because they think the roads in the rest of the country are much worse than where they live...hence the "D-reg" thing...in actuality it means nothing. Most of the roads are terrible no matter where in the country you are!! :D

It's not like in eg. France where you have to have the number of the particular region and change it if you move, you can have any county letter in any county you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

Thanks. So simple, I could guess what does it mean. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Clean down your flexible brake pipes on front & back, with some soapy water.

This will allow the NCT inspector to properly inspect them. Some times if they are covered in muck and can't be inspected, they will put them down as a fail...

• Advertisement
Advertisement