Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass Tiles in Roof

Options
  • 23-01-2010 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at a house in Cabra and it seemed that there was a skylight in the roof. But when I queried this with the EA he said that it wasn't a skylight that when the houses were built the Corporation put some glass tiles in the roof and then put stained glass in the attic access to get some light into that area.

Has anyone come across this? And, if so, was it expensive to fix? Was a whole new roof required, or could the glass tiles be replaced? I'm worried that these tiles could cause the roof to leak or could crack and cause major hassle.

I do like this house and was considering putting in a bid, however this puts a whole new spin on things and if substantial work is going to be necessary then I may have to think again.

Thanks for the replies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've never seen such an arrangement before. Do the other houses have it?

Much of Cabra was built in the 1920-1940 period, they are unlikely to start leaking now. That said, at this stage, it is likely that the roof will need some work to it, in particular insulation, felt, damp / rot treatment and eaves / gutters.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

My family house has it (not in Cabra though) Basically there's a small window in the roof and then at the highest point on the stairs there is glass window to let it into the stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I would not take the EA's word for it. I'd say it's a skylight on the roof, not 'glass tiles'. Glass in the 1920's was even less strong than it is today. It is unlikely the roofers would have used it in that way.

That said, it is possible. One for a surveyor to check, or go and look in the attic yourself.

Even if these are glass tiles, there wouldn't necessarily be a problem replacing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

great for light, bad in so far for insulation. Friend has this. I tend to leave bedroom doors open for light at the top of the stairs. Otherwise it's really dark up there. Replace with double glazing, shouldn't be expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭janmc

This might get a better response in Construction & Planning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Electric

Thanks for the replies. Yes other houses in the area have it and they do seem to be glass "slates" rather than a velux type window. I'm going to go back and have another look at the house and see if I can get up into the attic for a closer inspection, am concerned that the lack of insulation will mean it will cost a fortune to heat the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Electric

janmc wrote: »
    This might get a better response in Construction & Planning

Thanks I'll ask over there too.

If it does have glass 'slates' or whatever it is, it won't make much difference to insulation, the insulation layer is just above the ceiling, not in the attic. Unless you are planning to use the attic as living space, which is a whole other thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

But the "ceiling window" would likely have little insulation value.

For sure, but you just replace it or stick a piece of polystyrene or rockwool or whatever you like on top of it!

(I understand from the OP that the ceiling light is also the roof access.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

We have these in our house. I think most 1930s (ish) council houses were built with this feature. We don't have any plans to change them, and they're not causing a probelm (fingers crossed!). You should be more concerned with the glass fitted attic door. They will let out more heat than the glass tiles.

Advertisement