Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Putting seats in the back of a car-van? (focus van)

Options
  • 23-01-2010 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Does anyone know if it is legal to put the rear seats back into a car-van?
    Does it matter once you obtain domestic insurance (not commercial) for the vehicle?
    Would you have to go to the lengths of getting the vehicle re-classed (tax wise) to a normal car?

The car I'm talking about can be seen here -
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1118385

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

VRT is the issue here.

Personally I wouldn't buy a car from someone who was dodgy enough to pull a scam like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭DiarmaidGNR

colm_mcm wrote: »
    VRT is the issue here.

Personally I wouldn't buy a car from someone who was dodgy enough to pull a scam like this.

What do you mean? - The car is Irish reg.

it's taxed and registered as a van no?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

There is no problem putting back seats into the car, BUT you will have 2 problems:

Firstly to qualify a car-van for commercial purposes the rear seats and their seatbelt holes should have been welded over - good luck in trying to unweld them!

Secondly you MUST re-classify the car as non-commercial, this involves paying the VRT man probably 18% of whay THEY think the car is worth as a car.

Then happy motoring!

EDIT: just seen the picture, therefore you must do my second point and put in some rear windows!

it's taxed and registered as a van no?

Ah right, so i'd have to pay full value vrt to get the thing re-registered, -otherwise my insurance would be void?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Ah right, so i'd have to pay full value vrt to get the thing re-registered, -otherwise my insurance would be void?

Hard to say if your insurance is void, but if its down as a car-van then I doubt the rear passengers are covered.

But, if its on the insurance policy that it is a 5 seater then I would say yes you are covered.

I would be fearful of a customs check-point. This would easily see you in court as its obvious that you are trying to avoid the VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

One other point is that the end result would be very hard to sell on.

buying a Focus hatch from the UK and paying the VRT should work out cheaper than buying that, getting seats and belts, carpets, parcel shelf etc fitted and paying VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,777 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Anan1 wrote: »

Understatement of the month :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Anan1 wrote: »

+1. I had the same issues before when I considered doing it. My advise is forget it. Buy a car, it'll most likely be cheaper than buying that, paying the VRT and getting it re-classified.

The rear seat passengers will not be covered in that van, as it would have been declared to the insurance as a 2 seater vehicle

• Advertisement

just make sure you get the emissions figure from the V5 cert and calculate the VRT, as it's emissions based. don't rely on emissions figures from anywhere else

just make sure you get the emissions figure from the V5 cert and calculate the VRT, as it's emissions based. don't rely on emissions figures from anywhere else

It's calculated on a percentage of market value with pre 2008 cars, 2008 onwards is emissions based.

look it isn't. I know how it works.

The emissions determines the % of the market value you pay.

You're confusing VRT with road tax.

look it isn't. I know how it works.

The emissions determines the % of the market value you pay.

You're confusing VRT with road tax.

So I am!!!!:o

Advertisement