Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting after Match

Options
  • 23-01-2010 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

There was another shooting in town last night.This happened very near Thomond Pk at around 10.30.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

It is helpful if you post up a link like a news source etc when posting information like that. Stops me and other posters from having to trawl through a google search page you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭manna452121

I heard it in the radio.I will now go out and get the paper for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I heard it in the radio.I will now go out and get the paper for you.

That's Students for you :D

- Get him a Pot Noodle and some beer money too.......

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

ROG had a poor enough game but I don't think he deserved to be shot for it:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Claregirl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The country seems to ghave gone a bit gun and knife crazy in the last two or so weeks.

What is it now, 5 or six murders so far this year with a similar amount of shootings that did not result in death.

Nice to see the "tough" gun laws, and the cracking down on gangs in effect. :rolleyes:

I wonder will people remember all the waffle come the next election, or will they vote out those that promised much and enforced nowt bar bail outs and cover ups for the wealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Raiser wrote: »
    That's Students for you :D

- Get him a Pot Noodle and some beer money too.......

Il leave the pot noodle and the beer but will gladly take the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Kess73 wrote: »
    Nice to see the "tough" gun laws, and the cracking down on gangs in effect. :rolleyes:

I wonder will people remember all the waffle come the next election, or will they vote out those that promised much and enforced nowt bar bail outs and cover ups for the wealthy.

That'd be John "zero tolerance" O'Donoghue......imagine where he'd be now if there actually was zero tolerance!!!

What does it say about all of us that no one has asked about the person who was shot.

So you have all that is good about Limerick which is Munster rugby and all that is bad in one night in the same area.
    Liam Byrne wrote:
    That'd be John "zero tolerance" O'Donoghue......imagine where he'd be now if there actually was zero tolerance!!!

Zero tolerance on government jets lying idle and free heineken cup final tickets and €500 limousine trips to travel between 2 airport terminals when he could have got the underground or a shuttle bus or even a taxi :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Zero tolerance would make no difference unless we can scrap the "hanging judges" we seem to have.

Named so for all the suspended sentences.

What does it say about all of us that no one has asked about the person who was shot.

Given that the radio report today said that the person was well known to the gardai in a similar way to how the guy who was shot in Cork was known to Gardai, I don't think too many will be fretting over him.

My only concern would have been for the locals in the area, the people passing by, and the motorists who were put at risk by the two cars involved in the chase and the gunshots that followed.

I would be more concerned for people like the staff at the filling station on Clare street who had an arson attack on two cars parked in the station whilst it was open, than I would be for scumbags trying to top each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Given that the radio report today said that the person was well known to the gardai in a similar way to how the guy who was shot in Cork was known to Gardai, I don't think too many will be fretting over him.

My only concern would have been for the locals in the area, the people passing by, and the motorists who were put at risk by the two cars involved in the chase and the gunshots that followed.

I would be more concerned for people like the staff at the filling station on Clare street who had an arson attack on two cars parked in the station whilst it was open, than I would be for scumbags trying to top each other.

I drove past that while the cars were on fire. It was looking like natural selection at its finest. Huge bunch of people standing on the forecourt of a petrol station while two cars were ablaze.

I would have assumed that they would understand about the reservoirs of unleaded right under there feet and run like hell. But nooo, they stayed and stared.

Jumpy wrote: »
    I drove past that while the cars were on fire. It was looking like natural selection at its finest. Huge bunch of people standing on the forecourt of a petrol station while two cars were ablaze.

I would have assumed that they would understand about the reservoirs of unleaded right under there feet and run like hell. But nooo, they stayed and stared.

The two cars belonged to the owner and the manager. Seems the owner's 4X4 was a pretty expensive one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The two cars belonged to the owner and the manager. Seems the owner's 4X4 was a pretty expensive one too.

WAS pretty expensive when it was bought or leased but it is not expensive now considering the residual value of second hand range rovers.

Also it is NOT the only one in the country like the media would like us to believe, however, a V8 Range Rover is not very common so it comes in handy having your own petrol station. :D

Berty wrote: »
    WAS pretty expensive when it was bought or leased but it is not expensive now considering the residual value of second hand range rovers.

Also it is NOT the only one in the country like the media would like us to believe, however, a V8 Range Rover is not very common so it comes in handy having your own petrol station. :D

Never thought it was the only one in the country, but I would imagine even a second hand one would still look expensive compared to the average car on the road.

Regardless of price though, two people had their cars burnt out and workers were put at some degree of risk due to the actions of total scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

The shooting is feud related according to the Independent. It seems the victim is related to the Collopy family. So much for the "peace process" we heard about last year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Members of a local well known crime gang had been drinking all day in the thomond park area. Member/relation of the Collopy gang gets shot. You do the maths.

Local to the area around Thomond park? In that case not a breach of the peace deal...and retaliation sure to follow soon enough

mike kelly wrote: »
    Local to the area around Thomond park? In that case not a breach of the peace deal...and retaliation sure to follow soon enough

No they weren't local to the area around Thomond Park. These boys see no need to hyde.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info...we'll see what happens next. I'd be very surprised if the Gardi make any progress in investigating this.

That peace deal was a load of rubbish to be fair.

I won't be holding my breath for Limerick Gardai to actually do anything though. Their track record with the Limerick gangs shows how little impact they have. Same goes for the elected officials who like using it as a means to pretend they are doing something about the scum in the city.

Best the ordinary folk can hope for is that no more decent people get caught up in the crossfire, and that the scum keep killing each other, because the law enforcers and law makers have no stomach for doing what has to be done.

That peace deal was a load of rubbish to be fair.

I won't be holding my breath for Limerick Gardai to actually do anything though. Their track record with the Limerick gangs shows how little impact they have. Same goes for the elected officials who like using it as a means to pretend they are doing something about the scum in the city.

Best the ordinary folk can hope for is that no more decent people get caught up in the crossfire, and that the scum keep killing each other, because the law enforcers and law makers have no stomach for doing what has to be done.

Eh very harsh. The Gardai in Limerick have an exceptionally high conviction rate for murders and shootings. I'm far from being a cheer leader for the Gardai but credit where it's due in terms of solving these crimes.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Eh very harsh. The Gardai in Limerick have an exceptionally high conviction rate for murders and shootings. I'm far from being a cheer leader for the Gardai but credit where it's due in terms of solving these crimes.

I don't believe they have a good record when it comes to gangland killings. How many of these have been solved?
    Gary Campion is the only convicted gangland killer of the last few years that I can think of, along with the 5 convicted for the Kieran Keane murder.

I don't believe they have a good record when it comes to gangland killings. How many of these have been solved?
    Gary Campion is the only convicted gangland killer of the last few years that I can think of, along with the 5 convicted for the Kieran Keane murder.

To be honest, I'm not sure of the stats and I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I read an article about a year back where they compared convictions or people charged and pending trial between Limerick and Dublin and Limerick was streets ahead.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    To be honest, I'm not sure of the stats and I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure I read an article about a year back where they compared convictions or people charged and pending trial between Limerick and Dublin and Limerick was streets ahead.

Limerick was ahead at that time when compared to the Dublin conviction rate, but the rate of convictions against gangland arrests in Limerick was still woeful. Think at the time it was coming it at something like 5% with Dublin at something like 3%.

At the time of the report, they kept focusing on saying that Limerick had almost twice the conviction rate of Dublin, rather than saying the conviction rate was woeful in both when itr came to gangland crime.

For as long as we have a justice system that allows people to rack up 40, 50, 60 or more convictions and still be out on the streets, then we are going to always have a huge number of re-offending scum in this country. We hear about scum not going to prison due to prisons being full, so the solution is to let someone found guilty in court loose into society instead of building more prisons.

It is not just a Limerick problem, not by a long shot, but Limerick is where I live so it is the place I would love to see improved the most.

On Joe Duffy today it was said that a member of one of the gangs will be out of jail next weekend,what will happen next.

On Joe Duffy today it was said that a member of one of the gangs will be out of jail next weekend,what will happen next.

One of the Dundons I guess. Won't be long until he's arrested on traffic offences again.

One of the Dundons I guess. Won't be long until he's arrested on traffic offences again.

Yeah would guess that is who they meant, going by the fact his upcoming release in Febuary was mentioned in the papers a few weeks back.

• Advertisement

How do they actually get driving licences anyway if they are all illiterate?
    Then again, what instructor would have the nerve to fail them...

Advertisement