Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hubby up north this morning, what do we need for new baby?

Options
  • 23-01-2010 9:29am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sorry this is so late. Shane is up north this mornig only. Part of me is too scared to get anything as i am only 27 weeks (and a woman really freaked me yesterday when she said that it was only safe after 30, plus baby was not movong much for his mini-scan (he has been very actove becfore and since)...

Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ravydavygravy

Don't rush into buying anything - you have loads of time yet, and once you've done some research, you'll be able to buy what you really need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Cathy you probably already know a lot of the new baby basics.
    as long as you have something for the baby to wear; babygros, nappies, vests, little hat, scratch mits, lots of bibs mueslin cloths etc, something to sleep in.... moses basket with a few spare sheets, baby blankets, changing mat, lots of cotton wool. If you plan on bottle feeding then some bottles, steriliser etc. Sudocreme or vaseline for little bottoms. You'll need lots of maternity pads for yourself. However many you think you'll need.... double it!

It sounds like you're pretty sure you'll have an early baby. So if you're wondering what you need if you do.... eh nothing! In the 3 weeks mine was still in hospital the only thing I needed for her was sudocreme.I did need to buy a steriliser and bottles because I was expressing milk for her at home (oh and pump!). She was dressed in hospital clothes, nappies etc while she was there and I had ample time to get every thing else organised for when she came home. In the interim I bought the basket, bedding, buggy and car seat... some premature baby clothes (which didn't fit for long), tiny baby nappies. We didn't even buy a cot because she was so teeny she slept in the moses basket for 3 months.

Cathy every extra day is a bonus to the little bab... so take it day by day and hang in there xxx

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I have too much fluid around the baby which is why I am worried! He is not big by all accounts but if he stays will be 7-8lb. Cant go with hubby as am very car sick. Was thinking of the moses basket and a few other minor things, hubby is getting me more ginger beer (is not alcoholic) and more gaviscon as it is far cheeper up there. Hubby is nesting a lot which is cute...thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

That is cute :) .
    Given your history and the fluid I don't think there is any harm in being prepared early but even if he is born early he will still be in hospital until close to your due date anyway... well maybe 2-3 weeks before so you won't need to have absolutely every thing ready at home. Having your own hospital things ready is probably most important.

I do remember I did have some nappies, vest and babygro and the midwife put them on the radiator to have them warm for her which I thought was lovely. I can't even remember now if they even put them on her- maybe just the nappy:rolleyes: (they would have been far too big anyway). Do have a couple of tiny baby babygros/ vests as you'll feel better for having something for him even if they decide not to use them. Then when you get to 36- 37 weeks you can swap them for regular new baby ones :D

I know a few kids who were born anything from 27 weeks on and after a difficult start they're perfectly healthy now. There is a reassurance in getting into the 30s and everyday beyond.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You're into safe territory at 27 weeks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭janmc

This is too late for the trip this morning, but a friend sent me "THE LIST" of essentials, so PM me if you'd like a copy. I suspect they're not all essential at all, but it'd be no harm as a starting point.

Don't worry about the 27 wks vs 30 wks thing - all the books say once you hit 20 weeks the chances of things going wrong drop significantly, and you have to be prepared for the baby arriving early too. I know your med history is unusual, but try and stay positive and enjoy the kicking ;)

PS I read somewhere (it may even have been here) about midwives giving mothers to be lucozade if the baby isn't moving for the scan. It must be the caffeine that wakes them up?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

janmc wrote: »
    This is too late for the trip this morning, but a friend sent me "THE LIST" of essentials, so PM me if you'd like a copy. I suspect they're not all essential at all, but it'd be no harm as a starting point.

Don't worry about the 27 wks vs 30 wks thing - all the books say once you hit 20 weeks the chances of things going wrong drop significantly, and you have to be prepared for the baby arriving early too. I know your med history is unusual, but try and stay positive and enjoy the kicking ;)

PS I read somewhere (it may even have been here) about midwives giving mothers to be lucozade if the baby isn't moving for the scan. It must be the caffeine that wakes them up?
    He found a mothercare and got a moses basket and some ther disney stuff for baby and a dress that i had said i liked...will be interesting to see how much useful things he got...we are both crazy about baby but i am too car sick to go far. Baby is still very active, he just was not for scan...we had played music to him on the way in and are hoping that he was just tired...still worry about him. Will pm you, thanks.

Advertisement