Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

14" steel wheels 4x100 fitment?

Options
  • 23-01-2010 1:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where I could get a set? Maybe someone has a set laying about they want to get rid off?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Should be v.easy to find, mk1 and mk2 VW's use that size wheel. Try vagdrivers.net perhaps, I could probably dig up a set but they wouldnt be in great shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Ok I will have a look there thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Many Toyotas, Mitsubishis and Hondas use these too.

You have to get a wheel that matches the centre bore of your hubs (the big hole in the middle of the wheel has to be the correct size)

too big a hole on the new wheels and the wheel is being soley supported by the 4 nuts which is really bad

too small a hole on the new wheels and the wheel just won't go on.

what is the make/model of the car you have?

e.g VW wheels have a 57mm centre bore, Toyotas are 54mm, Hondas are 56mm (most)

AFAIK Lancer wheels have a 56mm bore

colm_mcm wrote: »
    too big a hole on the new wheels and the wheel is being soley supported by the 4 nuts which is really bad
    I wouldn't agree with this to be honest, the rear hub on mk2 VWs is totally flush at the centre and it causes no problems.
    The shear strength of 4 steel bolts of approx 10mm in diameter is never likely to be exceeded by even the dynamic weight on a single wheel on a passenger car.

For the sake of doing it right, how hard could it be to find wheels that fit perfectly?

Fitting the wrong wheels could cause stress to the wheel bolts from not being seated correctly and could cause vibrations too.

Some people aren't fussed by safety, if centre bore wasn't an issue why do you think spigot rings are provided with alloys?

• Advertisement

The OP is looking for steel wheels not alloys. If the PCD is correct and the wheel mates cleanly to the hub I dont see a major issue. In any case it should be v.easy for the OP to find wheels in this size and it would be as easy to just get a set from the exact type of car the wheels are destined for. This would ensure no fitment or safety issues providing they're fitted correctly. All the steel VW group wheels with matching PCD have fitted fine any time I've tried.

But Mk 1 2 and 3(?) Golfs all have 57mm bores, of course the 4*100 VW wheels would be interchangable

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭vectrahed

colm_mcm wrote: »
    For the sake of doing it right, how hard could it be to find wheels that fit perfectly?

Fitting the wrong wheels could cause stress to the wheel bolts from not being seated correctly and could cause vibrations too.

Some people aren't fussed by safety, if centre bore wasn't an issue why do you think spigot rings are provided with alloys?

Have to agree here, safety first, kids etc etc,dont want a wheel flying past you, bolts are known to snap at times.

4 x 100 easy wheels to come across, i use them on my vectra

Well that explains why anything I tried always fitted so!
    Anyway without knowing what kind of car the OP is fitting the wheels to it's hard to give a definite answer, some cars use hub centric wheels, others bolt centric. In fairness I would advise the OP to get wheels of the exact type of car as said above, no need to worry about hub diameter, offset or pcd then.

From the OP's sig, I'm guessing it's for the Lancer - the trouble is a lot of them come with 13 inch wheels (Colt/Lancer/Mirage) so actually finding 14 inchers would be an issue. Honda ones will go straight on without issue though.

• Advertisement

vectrahed wrote: »
    bolts are known to snap at times
    Yes, however if something causes 4 correctly sized and torqued wheel studs to snap simultaneously then your wheels will be the least of your worries :D
    As said, get the exact wheels for the car & you'll have no issues.
    The OP asked for 4x100 wheels, I merely suggested a possible source of wheels that met this requirement, offset and centre bore are seperate issues.

Advertisement