Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mixing different coolants

Options
  • 22-01-2010 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

FWIW, I'm a complete noob when it comes to under the bonnet. I own a '06 Focus. I was lashing some water in the windscreen wipers and noticed my coolant is at the "min" level.
    My question revolves around the colour of the coolant.
    The only experience I have of topping up coolant is in my previous car ('99 Fiat). The coolant in my Focus is Pink and the coolant that I have left over in the bottle from my previous purchase is green. Is coolant just coolant, or does it need to be the same colour/brand. Do I need to drain the Pink coolant before filling the tank up again with new coolant?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

You need to get the same coolant as is in the car. Mixing coolant can cause corrosion or reduction of cooling ability / frost protection allegedly.

There is a coolant you can get, name escapes me just now, that you can mix with any colour coolant. It should be available from any good motor factor.

Advertisement