Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

to scrap or not to scrap...

Options
  • 22-01-2010 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hey all, i gave up smoking recently and as a reward to myself i was thinking of changing my car! (Big reward i know but i'm super stoked to be off them)!
    I currently have a 00 yaris. What would anyone recommend? Scrappage deal yes or no? Wouldn't get much for the yaris although she's perfect passed Nct the other day...opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I'd be surprised if a 00 yaris that has passed the nct would not fetch more than 1500€ tbh, whats the mileage on it anyway? I'd be thinkin more around 2k€. Is it worth it, only you can tell! Whats your budget and what type of car would you fancy?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It wouldn't be worth selling privately but still I reckon a bit more than the scrappage - but with the money you were going to spend on some "green" low powered yoke bought via the scrappage, you could get a far better treat for yourself in a used car!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you should get more than €1500 for it privately. Also you should be able to negotiate more of a net discount on the new car as the garage don't have a house charge on the old one. You can also have the option of treating yourself to a higher spec 09 car or importing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 boohoohoo

its got 65,000 on the clock. I've been looking about, I'm a small car lady! Liking mazada 2 Touring (new with scrappage 1.4l diesel for 13,000); Auris, but they pretty damn dear, ..golf,polo, really not that fussy! Its funny that everyone has their preference in cars, my other half says a big no to renault, my brother says a big no to opel and likes the renault...

is their a company online that you can buy a car in uk and they will delivver it etc...is it dearer then going over?(although that costs too.)..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

boohoohoo wrote: »
    is their a company online that you can buy a car in uk and they will delivver it etc...is it dearer then going over?(although that costs too.)..

I think UKDirect does that - although I don't have any experience with them. Although I reckon prices here have just about reached equilibrium with the UK. Bear in mind that the Euro has weakened a lot in the past month or two so I don't see the same advantage in going over there right now.

By the way, I'd be surprised if you couldn't make €2.5k for the Yaris privately if it's in decent condition and has only 65k on the clock.

I don't think there's massive savings to be had on new cars from the UK, if you're an "ameteur" then you may be better off buying here.

New Fiat Panda for €6999 is pretty risk free - even if it's worth €3000 (worst case scenario)after 3 years it'll only cost you €4k in depreciation and it'll be under warranty all that time

fix it again tomorrow...have never heard anyone recommend one before...bad experience with a punto before not sure i'd go there again.

It'll be under warranty for 3 years and they're not all that bad.
    Most Japanese superminis will cost you twice as much to buy and because of that will depreciate more.

Just a thought. Even if it's completely worthless (think like an 07 car at the moment) after 3 years, you'll only have lost €6999

Don't get me wrong, Yaris's are very reliable, but maybe you don't want to spend €13k

willing to spend a bit 10,000 + a bit... have some in savings which means the loan won't be as big...plus if i wait a little while i can have all the cigarette money too....:p
    So its to stick toyota or change...Hyundai/Mazda/Ford/Kia???????

Oh and from what i have been reading on various car sites i would be getting more than 1500€, but as kbannon said it might not be a great car...

• Advertisement

€1500 is the gov. bonus (the trade in for your car) the rest is a discount that you'd get anyway if you hadn't a trade in. In some cases you'd get more of a discount than that advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭thebiglad

willing to spend a bit 10,000 + a bit... have some in savings which means the loan won't be as big...plus if i wait a little while i can have all the cigarette money too....:p
    So its to stick toyota or change...Hyundai/Mazda/Ford/Kia???????

Oh and from what i have been reading on various car sites i would be getting more than 1500€, but as kbannon said it might not be a great car...

Whilst we are talking about cars that need their warranty - Renault are giving value on Clio at the moment.

last generation Clio wasn't unreliable or badly built by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

fix it again tomorrow...have never heard anyone recommend one before...bad experience with a punto before not sure i'd go there again.

...I've had bad experiences with: Ford (new, 3mths old), Mazda diesel (search on here...), Mercedes, Porsche.........whereas my new Fiat Cinquecento (in 1996, and yes, it was a yellow Sporting....:) ) never, ever, gave any trouble in the 4 years I owned it.

The point I'm making is........nothing, but nothing, is infallible, or there isn't a brand that hasn't made a lemon Has it meant I've stopped buying the 'wrong' cars ?.........nope.........it's why boards.ie/motors exists in the first place, isn't it ? :D

...and a warranty is a warranty.

...still wish I kept the Fiat, though.....:cool:......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Hey all, i gave up smoking recently and as a reward to myself i was thinking of changing my car!

...sorry, forgot to add: congrat's on the smoking - just never look back !

I know a guy who did that years ago too, and bought a really, really nice TAG Heuer watch with the money saved after 12mths. What did he do when he got the watch..?....went back on the fags....:( ..pity !

...and on a related note: isn't it made to think that it's 'ok' to scrap a perfectly good, less-than-10yr old Toyota ? World is gone mad, I tell ya !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

thanks galway! Don't need to hear that story bout your mate though....tell me the story about the mate who is still off them years later and so much better off!!!!!!
    thats why i put up the post by the way re scrappage....car really is reliable would love to see her going to a learner or anyone really instead of scrap heap...didn't pay huge for her so really wont loose out that much!!! Might do the saving thing for awhile, been putting some cigarette money away its sinful how much i used to spend!!!!

just wanted to keep eyes open for a bargain somewhere sometime.
    Kia are they as bad/good as i hear???? Read some terrible reviews. A family member won one recently and going to sell it, was thinking if at the right price...maybe???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Ford = Fix or Repair Daily... we've heard them all before.
    Remember, you're buying a car, not an opinion from a neighbour. The opinion doesn't come with a 3 year warranty!!

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Ford = Fix or Repair Daily... we've heard them all before.
    Remember, you're buying a car, not an opinion from a neighbour. The opinion doesn't come with a 3 year warranty!!

fair enough but my main point there was NO to fiat due to bad experience... but thank you all the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Fair enough, but I'm willing to bet the Punto you had wasn't brand new.
    Anyhoo, Kia... depends on the model, they're not all fantastic, but they're not all bad! Reliability will be good on them. Which one you looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

it would be a shame to see a 00 yaris go to the crusher considering some of the piles that are still on the road but i suppose thats the way things are going.
    if it was my case i would sell the yaris privately and buy high spec secondhand car with low mileage its a buyers market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

its got 65,000 on the clock. I've been looking about, I'm a small car lady! Liking mazada 2 Touring (new with scrappage 1.4l diesel for 13,000); Auris, but they pretty damn dear, ..golf,polo, really not that fussy! Its funny that everyone has their preference in cars, my other half says a big no to renault, my brother says a big no to opel and likes the renault...

your Second brother is correct.

Renault have a decent reputation as a car manufacturer... wish i could say the same about the owners. Seems they only buy them to run them into the ground and then flog them on.

As for buying new- nothing like the smell and feel of one...

If you do go used... be careful as you might not have the cash to choose again for a few years if you don't like what you buy... choose wisely... I personally would drive the yaris for 6 months to a year while researching and finding something that i Really like.

Advertisement