Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does an NCT on a car your trading-in matter to a Dealer?

Options
  • 22-01-2010 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭

Im looking at buying a low mileage '02 Peugeot 206 from a dealer at the moment (4k euro). I have a '99 Mitsubishi Carisma which isnt taxed or NCT'd. Im hoping to trade that in against the Peugeot. I was intending to NCT the Carisma before going to the dealer, but someone said to me that it wouldnt really matter to the dealer if its not NCT'd and going to the trouble of doing it wont dramatically increase the trade-in price I'd get for it.

Whats the general consensus on this? Am i better off to have it done first, or is it worth the extra 100 quid ill have to spend on it. (50 for the test and Ill need 2 new tyres as well)

On a side note, '99 Mitsubishi Carisma's with around 100k miles are going for around 2 grand from dealers on carzone. Mine has 98k on the clock and is generally is great nick. Spotless inside and no dinges outside. What would you reckon would be the ballpark figure the salesman will offer me for the Carisma?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 DancingPriest

The best you can hope for is the €1500 scrappage allowance.

If you are buying secondhand, or do not otherwise qualify, It does matter. Finding out that a 2000 civic had a 2 year nct added €500 euro to an estimate I made out today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

I'd imagine that a 10 year old car without an NCT and two bald tyres is unsellable. One with new tyres and 2 year NCT is worth a lot more than €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

robbie99 wrote: »
    I'd imagine that a 10 year old car without an NCT and two bald tyres is unsellable. One with new tyres and 2 year NCT is worth a lot more than €100.

Yeah but the point is Im selling to a dealer. They can make the car saleable pretty quickly if its only something like an NCT (which will pass as the car has done less than 5k miles since it was last NCT'd in '07) and a pair of tyres. What Im wondering is would it mean much of a difference in the price they offer me for it?

BTW, was 100 euro a typo? If I was offered 100 quid for it, Id rather let it rot in my yard!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Agricola wrote: »
    Yeah but the point is Im selling to a dealer. They can make the car saleable pretty quickly if its only something like an NCT (which will pass as the car has done less than 5k miles since it was last NCT'd in '07) and a pair of tyres. What Im wondering is would it mean much of a difference in the price they offer me for it?

BTW, was 100 euro a typo? If I was offered 100 quid for it, Id rather let it rot in my yard!

The dealer doesn't know if the car will sail through the NCT or not, they will take that into account when giving you a trade-in allowance against the new car. They will assume they may have to spend a bit of money on getting the car sellable. A 99 Carisma is not worth a whole lot so for a dealer to make a profit from it they will not want to potentially have to spend big money to get it through the NCT.

To be honest without some sort of NCT on it you will only be offered scrappage on it imo. A dealer would have to buy it off you, potentially spend money on NCTing it, service & valet it, and offer a short warranty on it just to get the car to a sellable condtition. All this and try and sell it on at a profit, very unlikely with an 11 year old car and most will not bother. Also just because someone looks for €2k for one on dreamzone doesn't mean they will actually get anywhere near that money for it.

If it were me I would put it through the NCT since you are confident it will sail through, and then try and sell it privately. You can get two cheap tyres for it which will not cost an arm and a leg either. You will get more for it if you sell it privately and you then buy the new car at a discounted straight deal price.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,298 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How are you getting it to the dealer's without tax and NCT. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Victor wrote: »
    How are you getting it to the dealer's without tax and NCT. :)

Well its insured and I have a letter from the NCT with an appointment for an test. I obviously cant tax it til i get the NCT!

Bazz26 - when you said the dealer would offer me scrappage for it, did you mean 1500? If that was the case, id bite his hand off but I dont see how it can be as Im only hoping to buy an '02 car. Im thinkin he'l only offer a couple of hundred as it stands.

Well I think Im better off going with the NCT alright then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Well its insured and I have a letter from the NCT with an appointment for an test. I obviously cant tax it til i get the NCT!

Bazz26 - when you said the dealer would offer me scrappage for it, did you mean 1500? If that was the case, id bite his hand off but I dont see how it can be as Im only hoping to buy an '02 car. Im thinkin he'l only offer a couple of hundred as it stands.

He means €50 for spares:P

'Scrappage' is a government rebate against the VRT payable on a brand new (unregistered) vehicle.

Whatever you do next, NCT the car else it is worthless - would you buy a 99 car with no NCT on the assurance that it'll sail through?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

I obviously cant tax it til i get the NCT!

That was the situation when it first started. NCTS got greedy and demanded some more leverage for something (probably money), so now you dont need an NCT to tax a car, just an insurance policy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I meant against a new car that falls under the scrapage scheme, not a used car.

Advertisement