Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

building an inspection pit???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Does the pit work out cheaper than a lift?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 johnjoesim

Yeah, I would think so, ill be doing it myself for basically nothing, my only cost will be a few blocks, some cement and this extractor fan!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

johnjoesim wrote: »
    Yeah, I would think so, ill be doing it myself for basically nothing, my only cost will be a few blocks, some cement and this extractor fan!

No offence meant by this post, but if you are not experienced with concrete, I would suggest that you get some advice from a builder who is.

If I was in a pit with a car on top, I would want to be using reinforced concrete, not blocks and cement. Depending on the vehicle, you will have a lot of weight above you, and believe it on not blocks will not be up to the job.

All the best with your project though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Pkiernan wrote: »
    No offence meant by this post, but if you are not experienced with concrete, I would suggest that you get some advice from a builder who is.

If I was in a pit with a car on top, I would want to be using reinforced concrete, not blocks and cement. Depending on the vehicle, you will have a lot of weight above you, and believe it on not blocks will not be up to the job.

Sound advice with all that weight over your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Pkiernan wrote: »

You can build a pit with 6" solid blocks no problem. I built one 17 years ago and it's still there and it has withstood the weight of a toyota hilux and NH digger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

Sam Kade wrote: »
    You can build a pit with 6" solid blocks no problem. I built one 17 years ago and it's still there and it has withstood the weight of a toyota hilux and NH digger.

That may be the case, but its a retaining wall of sorts, with a car above it, i would get someone experienced to give you advice. I wouldn't like to be under a car unless i know i was safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

You may want to consider a tilt? A pit or lift is best but it depends on what work you plan of doing.

tilt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

johnjoesim wrote: »
    Just want to know has anyone any tips on building an inspection pit, also with regards to carbon minoxide extraction and other dangerous gasses removal, what sort of an extractor system would you reccomend? Would this one be good, http://cgi.ebay.ie/200-MM-10-DUST-FUME-AIR-EXTRACTOR-VENT-FAN-FREEPOST_W0QQitemZ190310784235QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint?hash=item2c4f681ceb or is it too much or too little, any thoughts or suggestions welcome, thanks

Bad idea.
    1. If you do build a pit - that fan will more likely kill you than save you. Any fan used for the movement of hazardous gases must be EX rated (explosion). Otherwise you run the risk of the fan itself causing a fire/explosion if any combustible gases pass through it. EX rated ones aren't cheap.
    2. Pits, by their nature, are dark, narrow, confining, and a natural collector for all combustible gases. Any leaks of any fuel, in a big radius, will have the fumes migrate and congregate in the pit. This is lethal. I worked on Bristol in the '90's, and two mechanics were killed in a pit in a garage near me, when a fire broke out in their pit, whilst working on an exhaust system.
    3. It's not just a hole in the ground. Whether using blocks or poured concrete, have you an issue with water or the water table, near you ?
    4. A pit is only partially useful, for certain jobs. Gearbox (rwd/4wd) and exhaust work, maybe, but nigh-on useless for anything else. No good for wheels-off work, or fwd gearbox jobs.
    5. You'd get a lift for as little as €500, secondhand. Infinately more useful.
    6. Nobody will cover the building it's in, insurance-wise, I'd wager.

Not too expensive, and it's new

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Sam Kade wrote: »

There are quite a few horror stories out there of blocks failing under the weight of a car.

There are many types of blocks now (aerated, sintered, heavy, medium, and light),all with differing strengths and I wouldn't necessarily trust them.

I would prefer a lift in any case, unless I was just using the pit for fluid changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭budhabob

galwaytt wrote: »
    Bad idea.
    1. If you do build a pit - that fan will more likely kill you than save you. Any fan used for the movement of hazardous gases must be EX rated (explosion). Otherwise you run the risk of the fan itself causing a fire/explosion if any combustible gases pass through it. EX rated ones aren't cheap.
    2. Pits, by their nature, are dark, narrow, confining, and a natural collector for all combustible gases. Any leaks of any fuel, in a big radius, will have the fumes migrate and congregate in the pit. This is lethal. I worked on Bristol in the '90's, and two mechanics were killed in a pit in a garage near me, when a fire broke out in their pit, whilst working on an exhaust system.
    3. It's not just a hole in the ground. Whether using blocks or poured concrete, have you an issue with water or the water table, near you ?
    4. A pit is only partially useful, for certain jobs. Gearbox (rwd/4wd) and exhaust work, maybe, but nigh-on useless for anything else. No good for wheels-off work, or fwd gearbox jobs.
    5. You'd get a lift for as little as €500, secondhand. Infinately more useful.
    6. Nobody will cover the building it's in, insurance-wise, I'd wager.

Not too expensive, and it's new

Excellent advice, you may view the pit as a cheap option, but without taking into account watertable as stated, and the forces created by the earth, you could be undermining the structure you place the pit in, and the walls of the pit itself.

That lift above seems really decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

We have a pit at home. It was built over 20 years ago. It's approx 4 foot deep (deep enough for me & Da to sit on a milk crate while working - we're both lazy buggers). The sides are block on flat. We've never had issues with water getting in, and the bottom of the pit is approx 12 feet underground (the garage was built into the side of a hill)

We have a number of rules when working in the pit.
    1. No car is left running.
    2. Every car is left in neutral with the handbrake down
    3. Nobody works alone. There is always somebody "up top" to pass tools, keep an eye on things and to push the car out of the way if needed.
    4. The pit is opened for 15 minutes before putting the car over it

We only use it really for fluid changes. Anything more complex (or involving having to move around under the car) I call to a friend who has a proper 2 poster lift.

I've seen inspection ramps built. These are ramps bulit that you drive the car/truck/tank (I've seen ones for tanks!) up onto and you're standing under the vehicle at ground level. If you had the room, they're better than the pit. But the lift is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

fwiw, similar post on the subject, HERE....hey, well like, BOARDS.IE was down.........what's a guy to do ?? :p

+1 on big permanent ramps - if you have a huge place to put them :D You can't 'fall' into them at least !

fwiw, again, I crossed this 'rubicon' vis-a-vis bikelifts, years ago. It may seem like a lot of money, but I guarantee you 12mths later you'll be wondering why you didn't do it years earlier. And I didn't miss the 'yoke' I sold, to fund it. Look at this way: the lift gets way more use than the bike that I sold to fund it ever did !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement