Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tow Bar

Options
  • 20-01-2010 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

Hi ill cut straight to the point. Basically I can get a tow bar for free off a 99 peugeot 406 and was wondering would it be able to fit my 06 fiesta van? I know sizes etc vary but can it be "made to fit" so to speak?

Thanks in advance as I know nothing about tow bars :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

zziplex wrote: »
    Hi ill cut straight to the point. Basically I can get a tow bar for free off a 99 peugeot 406 and was wondering would it be able to fit my 06 fiesta van? I know sizes etc vary but can it be "made to fit" so to speak?

Thanks in advance as I know nothing about tow bars :rolleyes:

Of course things can always be made fit, but your asking a question that no one on here will really be able to answer for you without seeing the cars and knowing the following:-
    Do you have access to tools / machine shop?
    Do you have a welder?
    Do you have spare box section lying around?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zziplex

I can get box metal yea only need a small bit really...

I cant weld but know people who can do that for me thats not a issue....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Personally I wouldn't. Last thing you want is to find that your box steel is not the correct grade, the welding isn't up to scratch or that the design you end up getting can't handle the loads exerted by a trailer - if you do find it out, it will probably be when your trailer parts company with your van and after that all you can do is pray it doesn't do serious damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

towbars aren't that expensive.

I know they are not that expensive but taught the free balljoint section might be of help.Then I only need a crossmember.

When you buy them from a supplier are they not in 2 sections? The balljoint and crossmember?

• Advertisement

depends on the type of towbar, some are 1 piece.

Towbars need to be heavy duty and done properly. they're not something you should try making yourself.

I would never try It myself I know its a thing must be done by a person in the know.......

I just taught I might save some cash by only buying a crossmember. Ill look into it.

it's more than a crossmember, there's brackets to fit the chassis legs.

Advertisement