Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting365 email and GMail

Options
  • 20-01-2010 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hope i'm posting in the right place...

Does anyone know if GMail's "Send mail as" feature works when you set it up to use your domains smtp/pop servers servers for hosting365.ie accounts?
    I have a domain with hosting 365 and can't get my smtp address: mail.mydomainname.com to work using ports 25 and 587.

The GMail error message is:

Authentication failed. Please check your username/password.
    [Server response: Remote server does not support TLS code(500) ]

The thing is i set my domain mail up through outlook and everything works fine.

I'm trying to set it up to avoid the mail being received in outlook and a few other mail apps as email@gmail.com on behalf of email@mydomain.com

Just curious to know if its google or hosting 365? I'm leaving it for tonight and will try again tomorrow evening.

Macphisto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I know the problem you're experiencing, but your solution won't work, as gmail doesn't allow you to specify a smtp server to send through. Also, their "sent on behalf of" is a weird decision...maybe they want to Market gmail in the address or something...?

A better solution may be to use google apps to host your email, if you want to use your own domain name with the gmail interface. Tis free, very effective and whilst a bit of knowledge of dns is required initially , very user friendly. Have a look at:
    http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

@Dardania: gmail does allow you to send your email through a different SMTP server. See http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/send-mail-from-another-address-without.html.

@macphisto: when you setup the account in Outlook and use authenticated SMTP do you set it up to use SSL?

The error indicates that Google cannot negotiate a SSL connection to the SMTP server. Either because it doesn't support it or some other reason. You could try unchecking "Always use a secure connection (SSL) when sending mail" and see does it work. This is less secure than using SSL as you are sending your account details in clear text.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

I use Gmail as an SMTP client for 1 domain, and a POP and SMTP client for 3 other domains.

Even on webmail services like Hotmail that prevent Gmail from POP3 connecting you can enable forwarding webmail side. You can then retrieve and send email on your old Hotmail account from right inside Gmail should one so be inclined :)

All 4 accounts perform exactly the same and work perfectly.

When you have it all configured correctly make sure you learn how to filter your Gmail, you can then have email stored in tidy folders for each individual account acting as separate easily accessible inboxes.

Also, there used to be an issue that Gmail would put something like "sent from username@gmail.com" in the frame for every email sent via the third party servers which would be visible on the recipients POP client but they have now corrected this and restrictive employers need none be the wiser ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

@zeris D'oh! I was wrong, but I've learned something here! And to think I'm sad enough to keep up with the google apps blog, and didn't notice that...!

If sending through gmail/h365 doesn't work out for you, google apps would still be a good one to try...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭runswithascript

macphisto wrote: »
    Hope i'm posting in the right place...

Does anyone know if GMail's "Send mail as" feature works when you set it up to use your domains smtp/pop servers servers for hosting365.ie accounts?
    I have a domain with hosting 365 and can't get my smtp address: mail.mydomainname.com to work using ports 25 and 587.

The GMail error message is:

Authentication failed. Please check your username/password.
    [Server response: Remote server does not support TLS code(500) ]

Just had another look at Gmail >> Settings >> Accounts.

Configuring mail.mydomainname.com on port 25 should work just fine unless you are either selecting when not required, or not selecting when required Always use a secure connection (SSL) when sending mail.

If you open your mydomainname.com account with Outlook and there's no confirmation code sent from Gmail I would contact Hosting365 for advice.

I have said in my previous post that I read online Gmail resolved the issue:
    Your Gmail address will still be included in your email header's sender field, to help prevent your mail from being marked as spam. Most email clients don't display the sender field, though some versions of Microsoft Outlook may display "From yourusername@gmail.com on behalf of customaddress@mydomain.com." For this reason, if you don't want 'on behalf of' to appear in any of your messages, we recommend using the SMTP servers of your other email provider.

It turns out it's only resolved insofar as users are now able to send via custom SMTP servers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 macphisto

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. haven't had a chance to try some of your suggestions just yet, but apps might be the way to go. I would like to avoid contacting hosting 365 for support if possible as when i have done so previously it has not been a good experience:(.

Thanks Again,
    Macphisto

• Registered Users Posts: 37 macphisto

Hi All,

Just to let you know what happened when i tried some of your suggestions

Zeris/LA3G: I set up outlook 6 in win xp without SSL. This worked fine. I enabled SSL and got a msg saying that the server does not support an SSL connection. I tried ports 25 and 587 to be sure --> same thing.

I replicated that exact setup that worked from outlook (No SSL), in gmail and it failed.

The error this time was:
    Couldn't reach server. Please double-check the server and port number.

I tried ports 25 and 587 without any luck. SSL was disabled here as well. (Both Ports work in Outlook without SSL enabled)

Anyway, so i set up Google Apps and its all working fine.

I guess Gmail doesn't like hosting 365!
    Thanks for all your help - i've learned a lot from it that will save me time in future!

Macphisto

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

macphisto wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks for your replies. haven't had a chance to try some of your suggestions just yet, but apps might be the way to go. I would like to avoid contacting hosting 365 for support if possible as when i have done so previously it has not been a good experience:(.

Thanks Again,
    Macphisto

erm, Hosting 365 dont host domains dude, I think you'll find its a company called Register365. No wonder your not having any luck with them.

Advertisement