Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavity Wall Insulation

Options
  • 20-01-2010 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

We have just had the cavity wall insulation (beads) done in the north west area. Dont want to name companys yet !! We have a 4 bed bungalow which was built 10 yrs ago. We have a solid fuel stove and also oil central heating. When the heating is on the house is warm but as soon as we turn it off, the heat is not retained in the house. We know that the windows are not great with draughts and that is due to poor workmanship and bad quality windows. However we decided to get the cavity wall insulation done as we had been told that it should help retain the heat in the house. So a few weeks later after having the work done and paying 1,000 euro, we can not see (or feel) any difference. The house does not feel any warmer at all. So finally my question is ... has anyone else had this done and what are the results. Also how can we prove to the company that there is no difference and also how can we know how much beads were pumped in ??? Was the amount of beads we paid for pumped in or is the company short-changing us. All advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dunlopwellies

A wise man once referred to that pumped in insulation as the Holy Trinity. You haven’t seen it, just believe. However in your case(poor windows and doors etc as you stated), metaphorically is like wearing a coat with the zip open. If you put on another coat with the zip open it doesn’t really help that much. Not a lot you can expect the insulation firm to do though as you asked them to provide insulation in the cavity and it sounds like that this has been done for you. Also difficult to see/measure exactly how much has been pumped in of even if the whole cavity has been filled. Clearly I’m not a huge fan of this form of insulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mary b

Paddy jules

Like dunlop wellies said all you have done is put on another jacket with no zip.

There is other options available to you to locate where the heat is escaping. Air tightness tests is perfect for locating all the draughts(cost in the region 300 euro), and a thermal imaging survey may highlight where insulation is missing, (I think may cost a little less than 300 euro).

And if you used a reputable insulation installer you should have no worries regarding the pumped cavities.

If you stop one escape route for heat, it will just find the next easiest route out, and until you eliminate all escape routes, it will be hard to notice a significant difference.

I arranged for a lady to have an air tightness test done on her house(built 3 years) last week and the report came back with over 60 holes in the external walls/windows of the building. Some combined were the equivilant of have having a window open 24 hours a day. Unbelieveable.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

PaddyJules wrote: »
    We have just had the cavity wall insulation (beads) done in the north west area. Dont want to name companys yet !! We have a 4 bed bungalow which was built 10 yrs ago. We have a solid fuel stove and also oil central heating. When the heating is on the house is warm but as soon as we turn it off, the heat is not retained in the house. We know that the windows are not great with draughts and that is due to poor workmanship and bad quality windows. However we decided to get the cavity wall insulation done as we had been told that it should help retain the heat in the house. So a few weeks later after having the work done and paying 1,000 euro, we can not see (or feel) any difference. The house does not feel any warmer at all. So finally my question is ... has anyone else had this done and what are the results. Also how can we prove to the company that there is no difference and also how can we know how much beads were pumped in ??? Was the amount of beads we paid for pumped in or is the company short-changing us. All advice appreciated.
    Depending on what part of the North West you are located I can give you details of a couple of BER assessors and someone who can do the air tightness tests for you. PM if you need info.

Advertisement