Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing Media from External HardDrive to iTunes for iPhone

Options
  • 20-01-2010 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭

Ok so I've a question for ye wise Apple fans...

My aunt is getting an Apple Iphone tomorrow thanks to Vodafone and I want to set up itunes on her house computer. Its an oldish computer so theres an external hardrive connected to it with music on it. Can I install Itunes on the desktop and import all music from the hard drive onto both the iphone and her ipod.

And what would happen if I imported the music into the itunes and disconnected the hard drive from the computer, when I reconnect the hard drive to the computer will I have to reimport the music or will Itunes still recognise where the songs are and then import them onto both devices(Iphone and ipod)

Thanks for any help

Ah Watch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭The Big Gig

download the latest version of itunes then in preferences change your music folder to find the music on the external harddrive. If you do it this ay the music will stay on the ext harddrive and itunes will dispaly the music.
    Otherwise to actually leave a copy of each song in itunes just simply click file and add to library, then search for the music on the ext HD and this will Copy all music in to itunes.
    Have a look at some of the support pages here
    http://www.apple.com/ie/support/itunes/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

download the latest version of itunes then in preferences change your music folder to find the music on the external harddrive. If you do it this ay the music will stay on the ext harddrive and itunes will dispaly the music.
    Otherwise to actually leave a copy of each song in itunes just simply click file and add to library, then search for the music on the ext HD and this will Copy all music in to itunes.
    Have a look at some of the support pages here
    http://www.apple.com/ie/support/itunes/

Thanks very much, will look at the site, didnt look there before cos I hate the apple site.
    Thanks again
    AW

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Its simple to do and works very well, and I have my laptop set up in the same way. All you need to do is import the music from the external hard drive into itunes. When the music files are added to iTunes it uses the file path to locate them so when the external drive is removed it simply puts an exclamation mark beside whatever songs are loacted on the drive to indicate that they cannot be found. When the drive is reconnected, all the songs will work again automatically.

The music will transferred to both iPhone and iPod by syncing normally. You can still sync without the external drive connected, as it wont remove the 'missing' songs. iTunes just skips over any songs with the exclamation mark. Ive used my iPhone and old Ipod Touch like this for the last 2 years and it works great!

Hope that makes sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Dave6195 wrote: »
    Its simple to do and works very well, and I have my laptop set up in the same way. All you need to do is import the music from the external hard drive into itunes. When the music files are added to iTunes it uses the file path to locate them so when the external drive is removed it simply puts an exclamation mark beside whatever songs are loacted on the drive to indicate that they cannot be found. When the drive is reconnected, all the songs will work again automatically.

The music will transferred to both iPhone and iPod by syncing normally. You can still sync without the external drive connected, as it wont remove the 'missing' songs. iTunes just skips over any songs with the exclamation mark. Ive used my iPhone and old Ipod Touch like this for the last 2 years and it works great!

Hope that makes sense!

Perfect sense, thanks a mill:rolleyes:

Advertisement