Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for a Forester S-Turbo/XT

Options
  • 20-01-2010 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm in the market for a 2001-03 Forester S-Turbo or early XT.

I don't do high mileage (maybe 5-6k p.a.) and it will mainly be used as a dog-mobile and a toy for me when they're not getting thrown around the back.

What do I need to look out for in these cars? Turbo failure? Ragged by boy-racers who drive it like WRXs. Self-Levelling rear suspension.
    How are they with 100k+ miles as this is all I can find in ads but I really don't look forward to looking after a high mileage turbo'd engine. What's the drivetrain like with high miles?

I missed out on a bargain over the Xmas. 2002, 79k miles for €2200. Gutted. Some seem to be going for bonkers money with bonkers mileage.

Any tips on where to look? Tried Adverts.ie, Gumtree, Donedeal, Carzone, Autotrader Buyandsell etc.

Cheers all.
    PK.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Good ones can be hard to find. I brought in a 99 S turbo auto from the UK last month for a friend, it cost around €3,300 all in. It was in excellent condition though, with a fully documented SH. I had an 01 myself a few years back, it had 90k odd up and was still running perfectly - again with a fully documented SH. From what i've heard the manuals can be hard on clutches, the SLS can give trouble, and pre-99 cars can suffer from HG failure. They're generally bombproof though, find a good one and you'll never sell it. Be patient though, the good ones don't come up for sale often. Have a look on www.subaruforester.org, there's loads of info there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

AH a man after my own heart ! TBH this was probably the best off roader I have ever driven and thats saying something when it wasnt even marketed as one AFAIK ! The Gardai had a batch of them in 2005 and the abuse these things stood up to was simply incredible according to a guy I spoke to in a dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Pique wrote: »

I missed out on a bargain over the Xmas. 2002, 79k miles for €2200. Gutted.

Any tips on where to look? Tried Adverts.ie, Gumtree, Donedeal, Carzone, Autotrader Buyandsell etc.

Cheers all.
    PK.

D'Oh , that was a good deal !!:eek:

Id have a look here , someone may know of one going !

Actually there is one CLICKY !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

homer90 wrote: »
    D'Oh , that was a good deal !!:eek:

Id have a look here , someone may know of one going !

Actually there is one CLICKY !!!

Bugger, that one's gone too !! :mad:

Ah well, if anyone spots one, let me know.

Cheers.
    PK.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I wouldn't worry too much about the car you missed, it's very easy to put the one that got away on a pedastal. An 02 XT for €2200 was most likely a bit rough. I'll keep an eye out, though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement