Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV license

Options
  • 20-01-2010 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I am a tenent in an app. I am not the owner of the house. Need i pay the tv license? we have a tv in the living room.
    today i received a letter from An post,and in the letter it states my name... 'cuz last time I give my name to the check person.
    can I just ignore the letter? and they spell my name wrongly....
    the tv license fee is really not fair..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

From the An Post website.
    Any person in occupancy at an address where a television set is held is legally responsible for the licensing of the television set regardless of ownership of either the premises or the set itself.
    So yeah, afraid you are liable for the license. Plus since they now have your name linked to that apartment, when you move out you really should notify An Post so they can extinguish the link.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

Speaking as someone who rented for 13 years I've seen this crop up many times.
    Most houses would get the reminder & warnings posted out to the previous licence holders name.
    In most cases that person would have moved on so their post gets ignored.
    The inspector would call asking if the namee was still at the address & then look for a new name.
    This cycle repeated itself every 6 months or so.
    Never once did the named person receive an official summons, only a series of warnings.
    It seemed that it was the unwritten code to not bother going after people leaving in shared rental accommodation.
    People were too mobile & untraceable.

6 Years ago I bought a house & I have had one ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you have a TV, you need a licence. An Post know that you are living there - after all they deliver your post.

Advertisement