Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem Getting Deposit Back.... Advice Appreciated

Options
  • 20-01-2010 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi All,

Bit of a messy situation but here goes:

Was living with one other guy in an apartment with a one year lease signed until March '10. I moved into the apartment July '09 replacing the person before me and signed the lease then with the accom agency and paid my deposit.

Moved out just last week and had handed in appropriate notice in writing, signed etc - all above the board.

Problem is - when I checked today about getting my deposit back the agency informed me that the other guy (my ex-housemate) had 'done a runner' i.e. he had left his keys in without any prior notice and told them he was on his way. They proceeded to tell me that this affected my deposit and as such it wouldnt be returned to me.

They told me the issue was now between the two of us and had nothing to do with them:confused:

Can anyone please advise me what to do to get my deposit back? Or have I learned a tough lesson the hard way - as the accomodation agency told me, 'be mindful who you live with'.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

If you signed a separate lease, I don't see how the actions of another tenant should reflect on you're deposit. I would take this issue up with the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

If your deposit was paid to the accommodation agency then the actions of the other tenant should have no bearing on it.

I would also assume that if the other tenant did a runner, then he didn't get a deposit back either, right? So, are they withholding two deposits?

I'd put it all in writing and give them a chance to formally respond in writing. Then, if their response is still the same, use it as evidence when bringing it to the PRTB.

Advertisement