Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advertised with "Internet"

Options
  • 20-01-2010 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭

Silly Q time:
    When you see an advertisement for a place to let with "Internet" listed as a feature, what do you understand this to mean / what should I understand this to mean?
    Does it mean there's a connection supplied and I'd have to switch the bill into my name? Does it mean there's wires in the area (Does it mean they guarantee that the last mile is ADSL capable)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Mediocrity

Why don't you pick up the phone and ask the landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

We're going through a letting agent. He said "some of the offices beside the houses have broadband".
    I thought the phrasing of my post was obvious enough - I'm looking for the general definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Ask him for clarification. Is he suggesting that you piggyback on their unlocked broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭f3qh5g0z6vc7ob

why are peopel so snapy all the time!

Ok id take this as either its wifi enabled as in you can get free internet. or id take it as there is a point there.

Like does it say free internet or internet point available

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I'd take it to mean that the house already had a broadband connection which I'd have to transfer into my own name and pay for. Then I'd email the letting agent and ask him to confirm that in writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I'd take it to mean there's a Chorus account waiting to be transferred into your name.

Having a phone line isn't "internet", hell, even having a line with guaranteed fibre from house to exchange isn't "internet", it's just a possibility.

If that's the meaning they're using, that's ridiculous. Like saying the house has "cake", just because there's an oven and facilities to make cake with. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I would definitely interpret this as they place can receive/has internet, but you will have to pay for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I would take it that there is a specific connection there and existing (not possible or probable) and taking control is simple and straightforward. An ordinary phone line would not count.

Thanks for the replies. That's my understanding of it (It has a connection/point, but need to transfer the bills/set up an account). I was just wondering if it was just me or that the description (Simply "Internet") is widely open to interpertation.
    I've put a deposit down, but have yet to sign a contract. I'll raise it with him before signing.
    Cheers.

In saying that, he also listed the premises as having a dishwasher. I remembered this in the listing and raised it and got that sorted. The missus raised the question of broadband with him and he just dismissed it with the previous nonsensical answer. Which raises the question: what recourse is there for false advertising (on daft.ie/rent.ie) website listings? I can't vote with my feet, I like the place too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Karoma wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. That's my understanding of it (It has a connection/point, but need to transfer the bills/set up an account). I was just wondering if it was just me or that the description (Simply "Internet") is widely open to interpertation.
    I've put a deposit down, but have yet to sign a contract. I'll raise it with him before signing.
    Cheers.

In saying that, he also listed the premises as having a dishwasher. I remembered this in the listing and raised it and got that sorted. The missus raised the question of broadband with him and he just dismissed it with the previous nonsensical answer. Which raises the question: what recourse is there for false advertising (on daft.ie/rent.ie) website listings? I can't vote with my feet, I like the place too much.
    I'm curious about that myself, as well as whether stuff that seems to be statutory (cooking facilities, etc) are waiverable or not. I started a thread earlier, no replies so far. :(

• Advertisement

Ask him who the internet is with- Eircom, Chorus / UPC, Clearwire, etc. and what the account number is so that you can check the details with the provider.

Victor wrote: »
    Ask him who the internet is with- Eircom, Chorus / UPC, Clearwire, etc. and what the account number is so that you can check the details with the provider.

There's nothing in the house. Not even a(n active) phoneline from what I could see.
    The first time we viewed the place: the missus asked whether there was NTL, explained we have broadband and would like to switch the account to the new address, asked whether there was broadband - he said there's NTL, he said there's broadband. There's no NTL broadband in the area. She raised the matter with him again the next time we met at the house - he just dismissed it as above. I didn't realise until I saw the advertisement that "Internet" was listed. Plus, it's ~60e pm and some inconvenience I suppose since we have to get a landline if we want a semi-decent connection.
    I'm not overly pushed, it's just the fact that he advertised it (He also advertised a dishwasher when there isn't one, but I remembered that and raised it and he said that wouldn't be a problem - again, in a dismissive manner, so we'll have to see about that, at least it's a clear and tangible item.)

Then its false advertising. Demand deduction of the installation cost from the rent.

Advertisement