Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracks under wallplate storey and a half.

Options
  • 20-01-2010 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Looking at a previous thread I came across this:
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    Its a common structural fault to see a crack in 1+1/2 storey dwellings about 400mm down from the junction of the wall and roof. The cavity closer and first block course are being pushed outwards and basically tilting out.

I have these on one side of my house and they have been bugging me for a number of years. Is my roof in danger of collapse? What remedial works can be undertaken? No steel beams in the roof area.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,293 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hi dahamster, im sorry, i know you replied in that otherthread... but good idea to start this one.

Remedial action can involve steel beams being fed into the dwelling by breaking out holes in the gable walls and feeding through by crane and manual. BIG JOB!!
    Sometimes smaller steel beams can be brought in internally and spliced up in the roof.

i recommend you contact a structural engineer immediately for his / her comments and rrecommendations. Your house may not fall down around your ears, but if this 'push out' is visible from outside as well, then there is major water ingress problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭dahamster

Do i need a structural engineer or would a good consulting engineer/ arch tech be sufficient do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭dunlopwellies

Structural Engineer.
    Consultant Engineer may have structural experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

dahamster wrote: »
    Do i need a structural engineer or would a good consulting engineer/ arch tech be sufficient do you think?

Retain a Structural Engineer, for peace of mind.
    Structural Engineers are trained to resovle structural problems. Make sure your Structural Engineer has full PI insurance.

RKQ wrote: »
    Retain a Structural Engineer, for peace of mind.
    Structural Engineers are trained to resovle structural problems. Make sure your Structural Engineer has full PI insurance.

Well i got the structural engineer in, problems alright. Structural steel required. Off to solicitors we go:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

dahamster wrote: »
    Well i got the structural engineer in, problems alright. Structural steel required. Off to solicitors we go:mad:

Sorry to hear that. I'm glad my advice was of help to you.
    Good luck, hope it all works out ok.

RKQ wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. I'm glad my advice was of help to you.
    Good luck, hope it all works out ok.

As usual your advice is sound

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MsBob

Hi dahamster,

Just came across your post.

Am wondering how you are getting on with your roof?

We are having the same problem 1.5 storey also.

Advertisement