Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

95 Trooper Engine question

Options
  • 20-01-2010 5:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi,

My father just told me about a clean 95 trooper with low mileage (approx 90k miles) and is interested in taking a closer look. He didn't find out too much about it so I dont know if its a 3.0 or 3.1 or even if its swb or lwb.

Just looking through some threads here mentioning that the 3.0 Trooper engine is bad and should be avoided. Anything else he should be looking out for when he goes to see it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭DanFindy

Them old troopers are as hard as old boots, being 95 it would be 3.1 a brilliant engine just check for excessive smoke. Steering can get a bit vague after time in them too as they operate a steering box type system just see when you drive it how it feels, apart from that just check all the regular mechanicals, and be sure to check the back chassis well, a lot of troopers have been on farms etc and could be very rotten round where the towbar is bolted on etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedRag

Cheers DanFindy, good to know its a 3.1 so we wont be wasting our time going for a look. I'll be sure to check chassis at the back and test the steering well. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

RedRag wrote: »
    Hi,

My father just told me about a clean 95 trooper with low mileage (approx 90k miles) and is interested in taking a closer look. He didn't find out too much about it so I dont know if its a 3.0 or 3.1 or even if its swb or lwb.

Just looking through some threads here mentioning that the 3.0 Trooper engine is bad and should be avoided. Anything else he should be looking out for when he goes to see it?

My buddy is a bit of a trooper fan & he reckons the 3.1 is as solid as they come.
    The later 3.0 ltr engines have a serious bit of grunt but they do seem to have reoccurring fuel injector & turbo problems so i would be reluctant to get one unless its had these issues sorted already.
    Your right just avoid the 3 Ltr version.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think the 3.0 didn't come in till 99 or 00. clean 3.1s are very sought after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Some 98 3.0s floating around.

As was already said, the 3.1 is a remarkably reliable unit. Only ever saw one give trouble in all the time I have been around Isuzu's and it dropped a valve after 220k miles.

Odd tyre wear can occur on the front when the castor/camber goes astray. It is a tedious job using shims to put right.

There really is very little else to be concerned about. The usual, shocks ball joints etc need to be checked. Some had an anti-vibration damper on the driveshaft behind the gearbox that was silly money to replace, it can just be taken off and done away with though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭RedRag

Cheers for the replies lads, it will be about 2 weeks before we get a chance to see the trooper, i'll let you know how we get with it. Thanks again.

Advertisement