Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum standards - waiverable or no?

Options
  • 20-01-2010 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

Just out of curiosity really, since I've been looking for a place the last week.

There are a lot of places that advertise having a microwave, but on closer inspection that's all they have. No actual cooking facilities as such.
    Citizensinformation.ie sort of implies that a hob/oven, washing machine, drying facilities etc are all things that a landlord must provide, under the Housing Regulations 2008.

But is it a case that as long as your told before you start renting that these aren't available, that the landlord has discharged any obligation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Nevore wrote: »
    But is it a case that as long as your told before you start renting that these aren't available, that the landlord has discharged any obligation?
    As you may have gathered from my questions in the other thread, I am not confident in this area. I would imagine it's not a legal requirement when you consider that hotel rooms have long been let out legally (Without cooking facilities, and without any obligation to provide free food on premises. I could see the laws being written around these situations).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Yeah, I've been reading further, and was going to post anyway.
    A house, flat or apartment which is let for rent for the first time after 1 February 2009 must comply fully with the Regulations. However, some of the Regulations will not apply to existing tenancies until 1 February 2013. This means, if a house was let for rent between 1 September 2004 and 31 January 2009 it doesn’t have to meet all of the new minimum physical standards
    I'd imagine that covers a lot of rental properties, even the hotels that are currently being used as bedsits, since they could argue they were previously rented out, if not technically let out.

Advertisement