Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PZ Myers Coming to UCD

Options
  • 20-01-2010 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

Thanks to our gods mods for allowing a seperate thread!

At 6.30 on February 2nd in Theatre B in the Science Hub, PZ Myers will be giving a talk with the University College Dublin Secular Humanist Society (now in our first year!), and will receive an honourary lifetime membership of the society in recognition of his contribution to the evolution-creation controversy and the general secular/atheist discourse.

<>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

sounds very interesting. Is there a title for the talk and would I be correct in assuming the talk is atheism/agnostic/humanism related?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

He's gotten back to me with a talk....he said I've a choice of either his biology talk, which is evolution-creation, or of a new talk, which includes a reading from his upcoming book, Chapels of the Absurd. Although I also told him he we have the room for 3 hours and he suggesting he mightn't shut up, so heres hoping!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

ucdhumanistsociey@gmail.com
    Missing a "T" there towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Sounds like another great PZ event, nice going ChocolateSauce! :)

Aaron,
    NUIG Skeptic Soc IT Officer

myers_poster.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭TheLargerBowl

Would absolutely *love* to go to this, but have a class in Blackrock at the same time that I can't skip. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I'll be heading to this tonight. Is there a big crowd expected?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Was a good evening had but all?

Unfortunately I think Minnesota would be easier for me to get to after work for 6.30 than UCD. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Yeah it was good fun. The lecture itself was far more 'science-y' than I was expecting, although there was some very interesting stuff in it: the evolution of 'Nylonase' and the anti-freeze protein in Icefish for example. I got lost in the jargon every now and then though tbh.

The Q&A afterwards was good fun too, and lasted about 90 minutes. Mostly questions about atheism, human evolution, creationism etc. Some US politics too.

He was also passing round a copy of this book, which was quite hilarious to read I have to say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Was the theatre full, yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Prob. closer to 1/2 full, maybe 150 people, about 30 of whom ended up in the bar. I left the bar around 11PM, and PZ was still there with Guinness, chatting with all and sundry about all kinds of stuff. Very nice guy - but not exactly "Minnesota nice". :p

I had to wonder what that "Big Bang" questioning was about. Did that bloke go away thinking "I defeated the big bad atheist"? Just because a biologist is not fully clued up on current cosmology? Or is it another "god of the gaps" argument? Atheists don't have all the answers to Life, the Universe and Everything to hand -> ergo, the Christian (Nicene) Creed is the answer? Weird.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Oh yeah, you get many religious types asking PZ questions? Or was it an atheist circle jerk basically? :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Dave! wrote: »
    Oh yeah, you get many religious types asking PZ questions? Or was it an atheist circle jerk basically? :p
    From the q's, I'd have said there wasn't more than one or two religious people there.

The one religious guy who did ask PZ a question, chose to ask him one about physics, rather than biology (the guy must have failed to notice that PZ is a prof of biology, and been asleep during the hour long lecture, 95% of which was about creationism + biology and the other 5% about religion).

Funglegunk wrote: »

He was also passing round a copy of this book, which was quite hilarious to read I have to say!

I'll be bringing it to the next beers, for anyone interested!
    The lecture itself was far more 'science-y' than I was expecting, although there was some very interesting stuff in it: the evolution of 'Nylonase' and the anti-freeze protein in Icefish for example.

I thought it was a little too technical at points also, but the Q&A made up for it by a long shot.
    BNT wrote:
    I had to wonder what that "Big Bang" questioning was about. Did that bloke go away thinking "I defeated the big bad atheist"? Just because a biologist is not fully clued up on current cosmology? Or is it another "god of the gaps" argument? Atheists don't have all the answers to Life, the Universe and Everything to hand -> ergo, the Christian (Nicene) Creed is the answer? Weird.

Yeah, the Christian apparently came in, asked that question, then left!

The answer is of course that there was no "before" the big bang because time didn't exist! I felt that PZ got him back by pointing out that physicists are often asked biology questons in the same vein, implying it was a deliberate tactic to go for the weakest, rather than strongest suit.

Been reading Pharyngula today, ChocolateSauce? :D

PZ posted up this up....
    Oh, and one last totally random thing in recollection of my wonderful trip to Ireland. Here's me receiving an award from the University College Dublin Secular Humanist Society…from Captain Jack Sparrow. How awesome is that?

ucd_award.jpeg

Actually, that's David, but if ever he wants to become a pirate, I'll join his crew.

I lol'd :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭DogmaticLefty

Jeez! And people give out about clerical dress...

Jeez! And people give out about clerical dress...
    Who gives out about clerical dress...? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Reminds me of Bob Hoskins as Super Mario. Jack Sparrow? Sorry ChocolateSauce you're just not that cool.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Malty_T wrote: »
    Reminds me of Bob Hoskins as Super Mario. Jack Sparrow? Sorry ChocolateSauce you're just not that cool.:p
    Indeed. But I would have suggested that V would have been the obvious comparison.

v-for-vendetta_l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

From the comments section:
    Posted by: HelixHelix | February 8, 2010 10:56 PM
    Swoon! If David is single, I'm on the next plane to Dublin.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Nice one ChocolateSauce!
    Wacker wrote: »
    Indeed. But I would have suggested that V would have been the obvious comparison.
    Yes - I believe that was the consensus at the A&A beers. Did you have a block of cheese with you for PZ? :D

Malty_T wrote: »

I once wore a Johnny Depp costume to my chemistry lab, but people kept mistaking me for a pirate.

Yes! I'm finally world famous! :cool:

I forgot the cheese Dades....but I did get him to sign my copy of the Atlas Of Creation!

Advertisement