Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting a gas hob, advice needed

Options
  • 20-01-2010 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm updating our kitchen and changing the old electric cooker to a gas hob/electric oven combo. When I pulled out the cooker there is a brass(?) pipe welded closed behind the cooker, which comes out of the wall.

So to this end I have three questions:

1) Is this a gas pipe? (we were not the first owners of the house, and we do have gas heating)

2) If the new kitchen is fitted, oven installed, etc. Can a gas hob be plumbed or is this something that has to be done before the kitchen is fitted?

3) How much is this likely to cost?

Thanks for any advice.

Eoin

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Most modern houses with a Bord Gas supply have provisions for gas hobs, gas pipe is left behind oven and soldered over, pipe should be copper, first I've heard of brass, you might a brass cooker bayonet blanked off ready for connecting a gas hose (gas over).

Gas hob can be piped behind oven, its a tight fit but can be done, might have to cut a notch @ back of counter top to allow for connecting gas pipe to hob, all depends on hob.

For what its worth, majority of people go for an electric cooker and gas hob. Depending on cooker / hob combo your thinking of fitting a single 1/2 gas pipe might not have enough volume of gas to supply both.

Prices I've no idea anymore, gas regulation has changed, all gas works must be carried out by an RGI person, gas line will have to be tested before connecting gas to appliances, when appliances are connected a certificate has to be wrote out and sent to bord gas, keeps everything above board.

Best ring a few RGI people or talk to hob / oven supplier, they should have a good idea of latest gas appliance connection rates.

Advertisement