Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Webtext App for Android OS

Options
  • 20-01-2010 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭

Hi, I wouldn't know where to start when it comes to creating an app but is anyone on here in the process of creating an app similar to Cabbage Mobile? I have a hero but I only get 200 texts a month, would be nice to be able to make use of another 300! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

like eirtext on the iphone? to use your free internet texts provided by o2/meteor/vodafone/three?

I've been looking into it but theres not enough Android handsets in Ireland yet to make it worthwhile, I'm currently working commercially on an android product that will hopefully lead to the knowledge that will let me create something in my spare time in the near future though.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

would be amazing to have an app like this for the hero. i bought an unlocked one so still have my free texts on meteor but my friend is getting shafted from going from free texts to only 200 per month

whoever develops this app first will have a major stranglehold on it and with more and more phones coming with android the smart money is on developing this app now rather than waiting for there to be enough phones in use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭ryderster

yesterday i ported a version of cabbage to android...
    you can download it from the market place if you search for cabbage.

its a simple app...

hope that pleases you.

regards,
    ryderster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Good work!
    Few issues, on the intial page could you add a link to configure your account, i found it a little confusing at the start and didnt realise to press the settings button on my nexus.
    Also on my nexus the icon shows up fine but the text is aligned to the right and gets cut off, you can only see the first few letters of cabbage.

no problem ill sort them out...

ill update an update this evening when i get a chance to sort them out

• Advertisement

Regarding your two points:

1. Account configurations on initial startup
    I have added a account configuration button when ur initial load the application. This button will disappear after you configure your account settings. But you will be able to access if from the menu button. I am only doing the menu button to save screen space and not be cluttered. The menu button is generally used as the defacto standard since the launch of the G1.

2.Nexus One "Cabbage" text not appearing correctly
    I have a nexus one and I cant seem to see that problem. Is this happening to your phone on the Menu grid list?? could you give exact details so I can try to fix this problem later?

ya its happening on the menu grid list, its fine on the main phone page.
    All i can see is cab and a little of the b. text is to the right, its like its been moved/spaned across
    il try and take a pic later and upload it.

Also when i select a contact it doesnt paste the number into the contact field

be great to see a screen shot if its possible, just so i can try replicate it on my own nexus one... I just cant seem to see it here, but maybe I am looking at a different screen or something along them lines.

just checked it there and its fine now! wierd!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

ryderster wrote: »
    yesterday i ported a version of cabbage to android...
    you can download it from the market place if you search for cabbage.

its a simple app...

hope that pleases you.

regards,
    ryderster

Cant find it when I search the market using a Tattoo. Does it not support QVGA?

• Advertisement

Well if it doesnt work on the tatoo ill sort before the end of the week.

regards,
    ryderster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

ryderster - excellent work man fair play.

any chance you could add a "top 10" quick contacts list? or even do you have the source for the code? my contacts lookup wont work since im using early beta of an eclair rom for my acer liquid.

could be a simple xml file that we could update manually by adding numbers to avoid having compatability problems with contacts.apk versions and even contacts in our web account!? just a suggestion :)

again good work! :D

No problem, working on the address book and the frequent used numbers,
    il definitely stick them in, its just a matter of getting a couple of hours the weekend...should have it done for early next week :)

regards,
    ryderster

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Good work man, keep it up mate!

Thanx,
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 murmur

Ludo wrote: »
    Cant find it when I search the market using a Tattoo. Does it not support QVGA?

Hi,

I am also looking for this app for tattoo and no joy in the market. Any other way to get it? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 userjohn

I tried both cabbage and jellysms but couldn't seem to get either to use my existing Sim/Phone contacts. then tried Textdroid. can use contacts but doesn't keep messages in same conversation but for me it's the better of the three by far. I'm with 3 mobile for what it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Dysman

To Ryderster

What can I say, absolutely top class, I have been using cabbage for years but just found the cabbage lite for Android this morning while surfing around on boards, got straight onto the Android Market and downloaded and installed it, simple and straight forward all the way.

Brillant app, please accept my heartiest thanks and applause

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bozzy

hey,

just wondering could anyone help me. just got shafted by meteor and their no free calls and texts to meteor numbers for renewing bill pay customers.

bought a wildfire last month and i'm looking for a webtext app now,

any ideas at all??

Like I said above, I think Cabbage for android does a brillant job, maybe give it a go and see what you think

Im about to move to a plan that only gives me 200 texts per month.

So am i right in saying if i get cabbage android, that i can send my 300 meteor webtexts for free through my data connection?

Is it as quick to access the app on the phone as it is to send a regular text message?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

Cabbage is a fantastic app, so much so that we based our Windows Phone 7 application off its source code: http://sproutsms.codeplex.com/ The author of Cabbage is also and absolute gentleman too!

I would say go for it, I use cabbage over wifi to send all my text message when I'm at home and only use my bundle texts when I'm out and about. This app is a real gem because it totally integrates into your contacts on your phone and yes it is quick.

Top app all round (in my book anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Dysman wrote: »
    I would say go for it, I use cabbage over wifi to send all my text message when I'm at home and only use my bundle texts when I'm out and about. This app is a real gem because it totally integrates into your contacts on your phone and yes it is quick.

Top app all round (in my book anyway)

What I love about it too is that even texts you send form Cabbage appear in the message thread in Handcent! So so cool!!

Cheers,
    M

Advertisement