Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scrappage Scheme

Options
  • 20-01-2010 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Need some guidance please,

I have a 05 Chevrolet (1.4, Tax year=352) and i was thinking of selling it, A family friend is selling a 00 BMW 5 series (2 litre, Tax= 700+) for €2500.

Would it be a good idea to get rid of my car and buy the beamer, and keep for 18 months and then trade in for the Scrappage scheme cause i have a few bob tucked away also to help buy for the new car.

Is it worth the extra tax? Will the BMW eat the the petrol?

I rang my Insurance and it stays the same, Some advice please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Rylan

The scrappage scheme ends in Dec 2010 so you won't be able to scrap it in 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

Rylan wrote: »
    The scrappage scheme ends in Dec 2010 so you won't be able to scrap it in 18 months.

Great! Another car saved from the scrappage scheme!:D There should be no reason to scrap a 10 year old 5 series, its got at least another 10-15 years left in it.

Getting rid of your Chevrolet would be a good idea though...

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

What would the petrol be like on it?

I currently spend €50 a week on my 1.4 doing about 400 miles but the journeys i do are mostly short and nothing too long.

Would the bmw cost alot more in petrol?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What would the petrol be like on it?

I currently spend €50 a week on my 1.4 doing about 400 miles but the journeys i do are mostly short and nothing too long.

Would the bmw cost alot more in petrol?:)
    At a guess, i'd say you'd be looking at €80-90 a week for the BMW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 DancingPriest

Just buy the bleedy beemer!
    Does the Daewoo make you smile every time you sit into it?
    The 5 will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

sorry slightly ot,what actually happens to cars traded in under the goverment scrappage scheme?? are they literally scrapped? will this not lead to idiots destroying perfectly good cars like what happened in america?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 DancingPriest

yup, literally scrapped.
    Had a had a guy in today looking to scrap a 3.5 v6 Legend, for a Corolla.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

yup, literally scrapped.
    Had a had a guy in today looking to scrap a 3.5 v6 Legend, for a Corolla.

....oh jeebus, that's awful........lovely, lovely V6 those......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

would you actually pay €1500 for one though, lovely though it might be?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....actually, I probably would.

I've now converted to old Luxobarge economics. :D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
Advertisement