Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary Teaching Career

Options
  • 20-01-2010 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I recently completed my accountancy contract with my training firm and got my chartered accountancy qualification. However I always felt that I wanted to do primary teaching. I just have the following questions.

1. Is there any way that I can do substitute teaching to get a taster and see is it really something that I would like to do. (from what I am aware a C in honours Irish or higher was the requirement, which I have) However I am aware that there are more teachers looking for work now so they would obviously get the nod ahead of me?

2. If substitute teaching is not an option does anyone have any other suggestions as to how I could get a feel for primary teaching?

3. Would there be any bias involved between the postgrad courses in St. Pats and Mary I as opposed to the internet based postgrad. Also how could I increase my chances of getting accepted onto 1 of these. I am male who is interested in sports. however I know there will be people who would be fluent speakers of Irish or have musical talents.

4. I have heard that there is more supply than demand for teachers and to come by a job could be very hard. Is this true?

I've covered alot but if anyone could help with any of the above I'd really appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Hey Eoru, Sorry I can't help but on the plus side you've asked a lot of questions I'd like to know the answers to! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Defo wouldn't be the most qualified to answer your Q's, but I'll give them a go anyway, & they're only my opinion.

1. As you said yourself, there are lots of jobless qualified teachers out there, who will defo get the nod before you. Chances of getting subbing are slim, & if you needed to rely on it to support yourself I'd suggest you think again. But, if you wanted to send out CV's in the hope of something, work away.

2. Failing that, my advice would be to offer your services on a voluntary basis (again, if you can afford to). Lots of schools could do with extra help, but don't have the funds to pay for this, so would be delighted to have you. It will get you experience in schools, in classrooms, see experienced teachers at work, which will allow you to get a good feel for typical school days, it will get you known in schools, get you known by principals, shows great initiative on your part, which will be looked on favourably by principals, so that when you do eventually look for jobs, or be in a better position to sub, they'll be more willing to hire you.

3. I've yet to come across negative opinions of the Hibernia course, but they DO exist. I think they are less so now, as the Hibernia students have proven themselves to be as good as the rest. But, in a nutshell, the others prob would be looked on more favourably (even if a principal was happy to hire Hibernia, deep down I'd imagine he'd prob still feel the others are a better qual). But, it's not the qualification that makes the good teacher. On top of that, there can also be the bias that B'Ed's are better than post grads. Then other principals prefer post grads due to the maturity of the graduates. So basically, all principals opinions differ & if you look hard enough, you'll prob find views against all the different courses.
    To help your chances, the biggest hurdle is Irish, so practice, practice, practice. It's what catches most people out, so you'll really need to be comfortable at having a conversation (not learning stuff off by heart). Defo get experience in schools, if you can. Again, the volunteering should look good, & show that you really mean business. Maybe get involved in coaching sports, involved in summer camps, etc...

4. Yes, defo a case of more supply than demand presently. If you need to wal straight into a job to support yourself, you may need to rethink your plans for a few years. There are qualified teachers crying out for jobs that just aren't there. When you 1st qualify, you'll be V lucky to secure maternity positions at the mo, nevermind a permanent job. There are qualified teachers just about getting casual subbing these days, so like I said, unless you're CERTAIN teaching is what you want to do, & you can afford to be poor for a while, then think carefully about it.
    Now's not the best time there has ever been to decide to change careers to teaching
    That said, I am!!!! :D
    Best of luck

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Get Garda clearance OP and approach your old primary school (or one you have a connection with) about assisting in a classroom for free. Make sure there is not already a qualified person who could be being paid to do it as that will not go down at all well.

Advertisement