Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open source - want to get involved

Options
  • 20-01-2010 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭

I'm a mature student and will graduate this May, i'm applying like mad for anything Java related in the Limerick area but all the ads seem to require at least 2 years commercial Java experience - so I was thinking about getting involved in an open source project so I could have a body of work to display and some experience, if I ever get to interview.

My question is: Can someone suggest a project that is java based and would have some work that is not too advanced?

Tks,
    Owen.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I think if you're going to get involved in an open source project you should probably look for one that you'd actually have in interest in. Just doing it for a c.v. isn't going to be too inspiring for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

+1 on EvilPhil's post, best get involved in something that interests you, for your own and the projects' sake.

Don't have any involvement in Java myself, but I think the Apache folks run various pretty high end Java-based projects, have a look around their site;
    http://www.apache.org/

If you do a search for Java on SourceForge, you'll also turn up all sorts of projects - there are lots of them there, from major tools and systems used by thousands of folks, to minor apps of all sorts.
    http://sourceforge.net/search/

One more tip - experience on an open source project will definitely be worthwhile, but bear in mind it's not the same thing as "commercial development experience". Will certainly help plenty with the CV/interviews though, not to mention it should bring some of your development skills closer to what would be expected in industry, if you do enough of it. If nothing else, even reading and understanding the codebase of an open source project will help prepare you for working with large amounts of other peoples' code, which you'll spend most of your time doing in industry roles.

Advertisement