Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue Window of Death

Options
  • 20-01-2010 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

hope someone can help me on this one.....I have a Dell optiplex 320 desktop with XP as the oeprating system. In general its a pretty good machine and has been trouble free.

Anyway, last night I got the blue screen of death with a stop message and a hexadecimal address with block captials and underscores etc.

In short, my machine won't power up and it doesn't sound too happy either.

Please see the image attached......hope some one can help.....

CIMG0004.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭far2gud

This one is usually caused by a faulty/incompatible memory. Try running the diagnostic from the Dell CD

If no error, try reseating the memory. Can a mod move this, should not be in Server and Systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Thanks....will try this.

No joy....it won't boot up or start...even if I hold in the on botton. Can't use the F2 or F12 keys to access the DOS menus.

Any thoughts.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Moved to Windows.

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

finisklin wrote: »
    Hi folks,

hope someone can help me on this one.....I have a Dell optiplex 320 desktop with XP as the oeprating system. In general its a pretty good machine and has been trouble free.

Anyway, last night I got the blue screen of death with a stop message and a hexadecimal address with block captials and underscores etc.

In short, my machine won't power up and it doesn't sound too happy either.

Please see the image attached......hope some one can help.....

Screw the Dell "diagnostic" cd bs. Get yourself a proper memory profiler such as MemTest86: http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

Run a few passes to check for bad memory modules. I have an inclination to presume this might be a faulty windows install though because quite frankly, memory chips
    are quite fault tolerant at a hardware level. I suggest you get a LiveCD Linux distro and run it for an hour or two. It does not touch your hard drive at all but simply runs
    from the CD. At least by doing these two steps, you can determine if it's windows or your machine. The LiveCD will give you an easy to use desktop with apps.

Tell us how you get on and Good luck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_CD

• Advertisement

Good advice.....however the machine won't power up at all now.....even after holding the on button in, on the hardbox.:confused:

I'm pulling my teeth out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Remove one memory module and try it. Then try the other if that fails. And so on if you have more than two.

Failing that, remove any newly added hardware and try again.

Advertisement