Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Dealer - O'Learys Lissarda or Divanes Castleisland

Options
  • 20-01-2010 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭

Hi all!

Looking for a little bit of feedback and some advice if ye can give it.

I currently looking at changing my golf to the mark 6 and have priced around the Cork/Kerry/Limerick area. Some outrageous differences in prices for part-exchange!

Anyway after driving around and phoning around I was surprised that the lowest quote I got was from O'Learys in Lissarda. I have never dealt with them before, but had heard they were notorious for high prices.

I have bought 3 cars from Divanes in Castleisland but on this particular deal they have come in 500 euro more expensive and tell me they can't go any lower (they already came down about 1,500 from their first quote).

Anyway, what it comes down to is a choice between spending 500 euro more and dealing with the crowd I have bought from before, and taking the better deal and going with O'Learys that I haven't had any dealings with.

Thoughts/advice/feedback on either dealer?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

just go with the cheapest, you're warranty is good in any VW dealer. try further afield too, if you save €1k wouldn't it be worth taking the day off to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Well stuck to Kerry/Cork/Limerick as that is where I am based and I won't get a quote for a trade-in over the phone, so I'd have to physically go to other garages just to get a price. I have had a few estimates over the phone alright but all a good bit higher than these two.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd tell Divanes that you would really prefer to do the deal with them but that you can't justify paying €500 over the odds to do so. If they match O'Learys price then go with them, otherwise i'd buy from O'Learys.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'd tell Divanes that you would really prefer to do the deal with them but that you can't justify paying €500 over the odds to do so. If they match O'Learys price then go with them, otherwise i'd buy from O'Learys.

I did that. They had 'a meeting' about it and got back to me about an hour later to say they can't go any lower. It's a new order, so they were giving me the line about projecting 3 months down the line for selling my car on etc etc. I thought that even if they met me halfway in the price difference I'd go with Divanes but nothing..

I know nothing about O'Learys, but did a quick search on here and the feedback isn't great :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,264 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Have you tried Newmarket Motors? I haven't dealt with them personally but they have a good reputation.

• Advertisement

Is the new Golf a special order? Even if so, I would have thought 3 months is a long time to wait?

I phoned Newmarket and Newcastle West and got phone quotes from them, about 1k higher than Divanes.

@Anan1, yeah I want to order a 3 door (not readily available) and adding some extras. Divanes told me a 6-8 week wait and O'Learys said 12 weeks!!

If Divanes are quoting 6-8 weeks for delivery (which sounds about right for a special order to me) then why are they talking about projecting 3 months down the line on the price of your car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Is the new Golf a special order? Even if so, I would have thought 3 months is a long time to wait?

Most factory orders for the Golf are around 10 weeks unfortunately.

If Divanes are quoting 6-8 weeks for delivery (which sounds about right for a special order to me) then why are they talking about projecting 3 months down the line on the price of your car?

I guess they are under-estimating with 6-8 weeks to try and get the deal. They know that O'Learys estimated 12 weeks. It has always taken 12 weeks to order a custom Golf unfortunately, but last year there was a change and VW dealers now deal almost directly with Germany (through one office in Dublin) and the order time was supposed to be cut to between 6 and 8 weeks!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

440Hz wrote: »
    I guess they are under-estimating with 6-8 weeks to try and get the deal. They know that O'Learys estimated 12 weeks. It has always taken 12 weeks to order a custom Golf unfortunately, but last year there was a change and VW dealers now deal almost directly with Germany (through one office in Dublin) and the order time was supposed to be cut to between 6 and 8 weeks!

It all depends on what you want in the car.

I ordered a 2.0TDi DSG Highline with extra's yesterday, and i'm being told by VW its 10 weeks. Of course in 6 weeks time, things could change again.

If your willing to settle for a car thats on the ground, you'll have it much quicker.

It all depends on what you want in the car.

I ordered a 2.0TDi DSG Highline with extra's yesterday, and i'm being told by VW its 10 weeks. Of course in 6 weeks time, things could change again.

If your willing to settle for a car thats on the ground, you'll have it much quicker.

I'm pretty set on my spec. I'm trading a GT Sport so I def want the highline in the mark 6, I'd lose too much in the spec otherwise. There aren't any 3door highlines around so it's going to be a custom order, but that's ok. I'm not in a major hurry as long as I get a good price and that I can deal with the seller. That's why I'm wondering if it's better to pay the extra and stick with who I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Make sure O'Leary's give you that price in writing as they will prob want to depreciate your car by the lead time for the new one instead of just on the price when the deal was done.

Make sure O'Leary's give you that price in writing as they will prob want to depreciate your car by the lead time for the new one instead of just on the price when the deal was done.

Really? I never thought of that to be honest. Divanes might be tight and rarely budge on their price but I can't see them pulling something like that.

Any real benefit on importing from the UK these days? Bit of a headwreck comparing prices online when all the model names are different :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

a bit off topic but o learys lissarda puzzle me as to how they can justify letting all those zetors and other machinery outside in the yard rot away.

Really? I never thought of that to be honest. Divanes might be tight and rarely budge on their price but I can't see them pulling something like that.

They tried it on us a few years ago, told them to shove it and bought else where but they have sorted out issues that TCM caused, no wonder they were stripped of so many franchises, TCM that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭dunkindonuts

try gerry cuminskey in dundalk, i got over 13k off a new van

They tried it on us a few years ago, told them to shove it and bought else where but they have sorted out issues that TCM caused, no wonder they were stripped of so many franchises, TCM that is.

O'Learys tried it or TCM?

Hmmmm if it was O'Learys then that is very worrying.

try gerry cuminskey in dundalk, i got over 13k off a new van

Thanks but too far to be going from Kerry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Give Pierse Motors in Tipperary town a ring.

I'd give also Al Hayes in Portumna, Galway a call. He has been known for giving reasonable deals on new cars, not so on second hand ones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

call to newmarket, dont ring, very suprized if they wont come down in price

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

The Scirocco is a far better looking car..id try and stretch out for one of those...:D

jap gt wrote: »
    call to newmarket, dont ring, very suprized if they wont come down in price

They quoted me about 3k more than O'Learys. Same for Blackwater Motors and Newcastle West. Haven't tried Hogans as any time I got a quote from them in the past it was always outrageous.

The price O'Learys are giving me for my own is really good when I look at what equivalent cars are selling for privately. As long as they keep to that price when my order arrives in I should be ok. Or pay the extra 500 and go with the peace of mind of buying from a dealer I've bought from before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

They quoted me about 3k more than O'Learys. Same for Blackwater Motors and Newcastle West. Haven't tried Hogans as any time I got a quote from them in the past it was always outrageous.

The price O'Learys are giving me for my own is really good when I look at what equivalent cars are selling for privately. As long as they keep to that price when my order arrives in I should be ok. Or pay the extra 500 and go with the peace of mind of buying from a dealer I've bought from before.

You will have the same peace of mind buying from the crowd in Lissarda. They are just supplying the car. Just clarify the price issue and off you go. I wouldn't pay €500 for an identical car. It's not as if O'Learys are supplying a car that might not be as good as Divanes. Go with the deal that's cheapest and if there is a problem afterwards with the car go to the place you're comfortable with. It's that simple

The only other thing in Divanes favour is that they were claiming a 6-8 week delivery time, against O'Leary's 12, but I guess they were underestimating as they are all coming from the same place.

Cheers guys, appreciate the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The only other thing in Divanes favour is that they were claiming a 6-8 week delivery time, against O'Leary's 12, but I guess they were underestimating as they are all coming from the same place.

Cheers guys, appreciate the replies.

The only difference there coud lbe in the delivery time is when the call is placed into VW. Unless Divanes have some sort of preferrential treatment from Volkswagen? I can't imagine Volkswagen would do that though?*

*I'm sure someone will be on here to explain why though

The only difference there coud lbe in the delivery time is when the call is placed into VW. Unless Divanes have some sort of preferrential treatment from Volkswagen? I can't imagine Volkswagen would do that though?*

*I'm sure someone will be on here to explain why though
    When I sold VW, the way it worked was that we had a constant supply of preordered cars on their way in. There was a point before which the specification on a preordered car could be changed at the factory, that point was usually 6-7 weeks before the car's arrival at the garage.

O'Learys tried it or TCM?

Hmmmm if it was O'Learys then that is very worrying.

O'Learys, TCM were so bad they couldn't hold onto their franchises despite the guff they spewed about concentrating on certain overpriced markets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

When I sold VW, the way it worked was that we had a constant supply of preordered cars on their way in. There was a point before which the specification on a preordered car could be changed at the factory, that point was usually 6-7 weeks before the car's arrival at the garage.

I had a really well thought out and informative post typed out, backing up Anan1 to say nothing really had changed. Something went wrong when I tried to post it though......

Not much has changed since you were selling them. Lock down on orders still seems to be about 6 weeks before arrival which should work out to around 3 weeks before production.

Lets hope I don't get the same message again when I try to post this :p

Advertisement