Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time renting

Options
  • 20-01-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

So, I'm viewing my first apartments for rent today and tomorrow.
    Will hopefully be moved in by next week providing the place is right.

Can anyone give me tips on what to look out for?
    How much would the deposit usually be on a place in North Dublin? Rent they are asking is around 1100pm.

Anything else?

Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Noxin wrote: »
    So, I'm viewing my first apartments for rent today and tomorrow.
    Will hopefully be moved in by next week providing the place is right.

Can anyone give me tips on what to look out for?
    How much would the deposit usually be on a place in North Dublin? Rent they are asking is around 1100pm.

Anything else?

Thanks for any replies.

If you can, keep us updated of how everything goes.

Would be useful for other first time renters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭jw297

Just some things from my own experience: check for any signs of damp - if it looks slightly damp now, after the landlord has had a chance to fix the place up, chances are it will get worse. Ask about the BER, so you can get an idea how energy efficient the place is and therefore how much it is going to cost to heat (I wish I had thought of this before moving to my current place!)
    Make sure you know how the electricity/heating etc works and how bill payments are arranged. Find out if there is anything shared between apartments, eg. bin collection and any extra costs relating to that kind of thing.
    Of course, ensure you have a proper contract and make sure you read all the terms and conditions before signing!

In my experience, the deposit has always been a months rent, or rounded down to the nearest hundred, but I haven't ever paid rent that high, so the deposit may be a bit lower than your rent.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Deposit is one months rent. Check things including:

Type of heating - electric storage v gas central heating
    Security - alarm/intercom
    Parking
    Storage
    Ask what typical bills work out as
    Check public transport serving the area
    View from window/light - overlooking?
    Type of shower- immersion v electric

I'm sure others will add more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

No particular order
      Get a signed inventory list that you both agree Take picture of the place especially any existing damage/disrepair and store them Ensure you agree a payment method and date clearly. Calender month, biweekly make a difference Ask for the BER certificate (they have to supply this) Sort out your tax claim form now rather than rush around later and complain about slow response times Make sure all bills are from when you move in and have nothing outstanding Make sure you have a tv licence Write up any agreements with other flat mates keep a copy that was signed. Amend if need be. Make sure you have decent contact details such as land line, address and not just a mobile number. Make sure you know how everything works After a week or month talk to the landlord and explain any issues but tell him in advance as in now that you will be doing this. It is so anything missed can be addressed then rather than stick to beat them with and to prevent constant phone calls of small points Ensure you know what is expected of you such as gardening. After 6 months I would invite the landlord to inspect the place Follow the agreement e.g. no pets means that

The idea would be to be upfront and cut off any problems before there is any frustration from either parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

1100 per month, is this for 1 or 2 bedroom? Where in North Dublin?

Also make sure and ask the landlord to register with the PRTB. You will have to provide your PPS number as will the landlord. You should receive a letter from them with all the details once you have been registered.

Rent has been reduced greatly in most areas in Dublin in the last few months. Might be worth checking out daft.ie to see how much other apartments in the complex or the area are per month also. If you want to you can try and "haggle", and ask if they would take 1000 or 950, it is a renters market at the moment, so no point in not asking.

From past experience when renting, landlords usually ask for a letter from your bank, work or previous landlords, so maybe have these to hand also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

€1100 seems a little on the cheeky side, I'm in a sizable 2bed on the northside for €1050(excellent transport links and furnished to a high spec) and thats only because the lease was signed last August, today the same apartments are €1000.

Offer €1000, also try not constrict yourself to that one apartment/development, the multitude out there will give you the bargaining power...landlords are screaming out for th cash these days so you'd be surprised at what they'd be willing to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Hey,

Thanks for the replies. Some great tips in there. The apartment I viewed yesterday was for a 2 double 1 single place but it turned out to look very little like the photos from Daft. It was in Northwood in Santry.
    I wont go into the list but lets just say it was not worth 1100 or even close!
    I've another one to view today that is in Addison Park in Glasnevin. It's technically a three bed again two double and one single but the single has been converted into an office/study.

The price on Daft for yesterdays apartment was 1150 to which I questioned about offering 1050 but possibly willing to go 1100. The negotiator wasn't really having any of it. Did that more out of curiosity.
    Today's is on Daft for 1100 so will see how it goes. Will post and keep you updated :)

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Noxin wrote: »
    Hey,

Thanks for the replies. Some great tips in there. The apartment I viewed yesterday was for a 2 double 1 single place but it turned out to look very little like the photos from Daft. It was in Northwood in Santry.
    I wont go into the list but lets just say it was not worth 1100 or even close!
    I've another one to view today that is in Addison Park in Glasnevin. It's technically a three bed again two double and one single but the single has been converted into an office/study.

The price on Daft for yesterdays apartment was 1150 to which I questioned about offering 1050 but possibly willing to go 1100. The negotiator wasn't really having any of it. Did that more out of curiosity.
    Today's is on Daft for 1100 so will see how it goes. Will post and keep you updated :)

Thanks again!

Make sure you get a list of all the items in the apartment and their condition.

Negotiate with every landlord you meet, the worst thing they will say is no. What have you got to lose? Don't be afraid to offer 20% less. Landlords think that the apartments are worth what they paid for them. They have a serious misunderstanding of economics. I would not be surprised if the property agencies had an agreement with one another to keep prices high. They have a lot to lose.

Just because the landlord is paying 1K a month on a mortgage, does not mean the apartment is worth 1K or more a month to rent out... far from it.

I suggest you give yourself more than a week to look for an apartment. There are tonnes of places out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

Make sure you get a list of all the items in the apartment and their condition.

I would not be surprised if the property agencies had an agreement with one another to keep prices high. They have a lot to lose.

+1

Advertisement