Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holding Deposit Refund

Options
  • 20-01-2010 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi,
    At half half 5 on Friday evening last I put a holding deposit of €200 on a one bad flat in Cork City. I went in to the estate agent on the following Monday afternoon (about 2 p.m.) to drop in my landlord reference and make the final arrangements for the signing of the lease etc.

At this point I was given new information by the estate agent in relation to the accommodation which I was not satisfied/comfortable with. Therefore I decided that I did no longer wish to go ahead with the deal and requested a refund of my €200 holding deposit (which I have a receipt for). I was told that they had already lodged the money and could not return it straight away, but that they would call me in a couple of days when they had the cheque ready.

Now a couple of days have passed without a call and I am getting a little anxious. My question is basically... In circumstances like this do they have any right to retain the holding deposit? Bear in mind that no contracts where signed, there was bearly half a working day between when the payment was made and the request for it's return, and I have a receipt for the amount paid.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

No, they don't have any right at all. Just ring them again and see where is your money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 velouria07

Thanks MuffinsDa for the clear and concise reply! You have put my mind at ease. Will call them asap.:)

Advertisement