Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

once you are smoker, you are smoker for the rest of your life!

Options
  • 20-01-2010 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

is that true folks, they say, even if you quit, you are struggling to quit.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

leom wrote: »

Nope, it's not true, at least in my experience. I'm just over two years off them and it's definitely not a struggle anymore. Actually now that I think about it, it would probably be more of a struggle to start again now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Load of crap, I gave up seven years ago and never had another cigarette or felt the need for one, or indeed understand how I ever smoked. If you give up smoking you are a non smoker, end of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭katiemaloe

No it definately gets easier. I quit 2 years ago and I'm still delighted that I don't smoke anymore. I don't even like the smell or anything.

I think you have to be positive and think of the good things about being a non smoker, and the elements that you don't miss. I don't miss my house smelling like an ashtray, the panicky feeling when you have no fags left at bedtime and you know you'll want a breakfast one, when you're broke and running around the house looking for change to buy fags, even though you need bread and milk more. Especially glad that I don't have to stand outside the pub freezing my ass off to get my little fix, whilst missing the craic inside. Its not a struggle at all once you look at the reality of what smoking actually is.

I'm just so glad all that bulls*it is gone outta my life. Feel much better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Raggaroo

I smoked for over 20 years, been off them 9 years, and its not a struggle, i think during the first 3-6 months you just learn to ignore the craving until it vanishes. I still sometimes get the craving for a ciggie but once you know that you are not going to satisfy it, it vanishes in seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

I'm off them 5 or 6 yrs now and like another poster said i don't know how i ever smoked, it was really only the first 6 to 8 weeks where your craving a smoke when u give up after that it gets easier as u think about them less and less. I have had a few ciggs since i gave them up but never managed to finish one cos the taste and smell of them is just disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭leom

Wreck wrote: »
    Nope, it's not true, at least in my experience. I'm just over two years off them and it's definitely not a struggle anymore. Actually now that I think about it, it would probably be more of a struggle to start again now!
    Load of crap, I gave up seven years ago and never had another cigarette or felt the need for one, or indeed understand how I ever smoked. If you give up smoking you are a non smoker, end of.
    katiemaloe wrote: »
    No it definately gets easier. I quit 2 years ago and I'm still delighted that I don't smoke anymore. I don't even like the smell or anything.

I think you have to be positive and think of the good things about being a non smoker, and the elements that you don't miss. I don't miss my house smelling like an ashtray, the panicky feeling when you have no fags left at bedtime and you know you'll want a breakfast one, when you're broke and running around the house looking for change to buy fags, even though you need bread and milk more. Especially glad that I don't have to stand outside the pub freezing my ass off to get my little fix, whilst missing the craic inside. Its not a struggle at all once you look at the reality of what smoking actually is.

I'm just so glad all that bulls*it is gone outta my life. Feel much better too.

so none of you have any craving feeling at all - do not you feel you are missing some thing in your life :) lucky you !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Missing out on what exactly? Burning money? Increased risk of cancer, stinking clothes and hair, yellowing teeth and fingers, not being able to go a day without being a slave to a habit, filthy ash trays, my home reeking of fags, coughing, decreased lung capacity. Remind me, what am I missing out on again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭govinda

When I was a smoker, I felt like non-smokers were the ones missing out - couldn't understand how they could deprive themselves of smoking. Feel like a right junkie writing that out, but that's exactly what I was like as a smoker :-)
    Smoked for 13 years, finally off them 2.5 years after multiple attempts - don't miss a thing, the struggle is over :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Smoker for 20 years off them a few times 1 year etc

im now back on them 1.5 years after being off them for 3

(not trying to dishearten anyone) im not using excuses

but i had a severe trauma when i went back on them,

and of course i was only having one, i was flying up till i

had one then it was inevitable what would happen.....

I will go off them again, anyone thats off them keep up

the good work after 3 months you have them well beat

just never think that you can have a quick drag and that

will be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

Agree with what everyone else said. I smoked 20 a day for around 10 years, gave them up over 10 years ago now and I can honestly say that after the first year or so I never once even considered having a fag. I actually hate to be around smokers these days the smell of it just repulses me now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Missing out on what exactly? Burning money? Increased risk of cancer, stinking clothes and hair, yellowing teeth and fingers, not being able to go a day without being a slave to a habit, filthy ash trays, my home reeking of fags, coughing, decreased lung capacity. Remind me, what am I missing out on again?

Couldn't have put it better myself.

If u really really really wanna give up the smokes u won't feel your missing anything, in fact you'll feel free cos u don't need your hourly fix !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

so none of you have any craving feeling at all - do not you feel you are missing some thing in your life :) lucky you !!

I quit smoking 4 years ago last December....best thing i ever did.

If anything i would have gone the opposite way to what you are saying...

I will never smoke again, i hate being around smokers now, the smell is so rotten. I cant stand being in a friends house if people are smoking. The stink on my clothes, the headaches if you're stuck in a room full of smokers all night, its just horrible...

I'm not a "preaching anti smoker", i dont nit pick at mates who smoke, but if i have a choice i rather not be around people smoking.

I was suprised at how easy it was to just stop, im my opionion all this stuff about cravings, stress etc is so overblown its all in your head.
    You just need to focus and take control of yourself, its easy enough to quit.

Discostuy wrote: »

I will never smoke again, i hate being around smokers now, the smell is so rotten. I cant stand being in a friends house if people are smoking. The stink on my clothes, the headaches if you're stuck in a room full of smokers all night, its just horrible...

I'm not a "preaching anti smoker", i dont nit pick at mates who smoke, but if i have a choice i rather not be around people smoking.

I was suprised at how easy it was to just stop, im my opionion all this stuff about cravings, stress etc is so overblown its all in your head.

Everyones circumstances are different and never say never

I being a smoker again!!!! still cannot understand people smoking in houses

i thought that went out with the high bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Discostuy

bryaner wrote: »
    Everyones circumstances are different and never say never

Yeah i didnt mean to come across all cocky or whatever...but if your off smokes for 3 weeks or 3 months or 3 years, there is no reason to smoke again.

In my humble opionion the only reason you would is if you still believe smoking helps you deal with difficult situations or calms stress, or you can have 1 only when you drink.

It comes down to you fighting with your own body and mind into doing something it doesnt want to do...and consciencly forcing yourself to smoke.

Thats my own crazy view anyways...hope it doesnt sound arrogant or whatever :p

Yeah i didnt mean to come across all cocky or whatever...but if your off smokes for 3 weeks or 3 months or 3 years, there is no reason to smoke again.

In my humble opionion the only reason you would is if you still believe smoking helps you deal with difficult situations or calms stress, or you can have 1 only when you drink.

It comes down to you fighting with your own body and mind into doing something it doesnt want to do...and consciencly forcing yourself to smoke.

Thats my own crazy view anyways...hope it doesnt sound arrogant or whatever :p

No no i hear what your saying all my point was that some people find it

pretty easy and some get it really hard... depends on your make up i guess

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Rediculos sweeping statement imo. I have never smoked and will never smoke. However, both my parents smoked 40 Major a day for the guts of 40 years. Then about 14 years ago, on a cold December evening, they said "fcuk this" threw their boxes in the fire and have never smoked since. No patches, no gum, no quick fixes, just will power and support.

Granted they were like demons for 2 months, but I'm so very proud of them, both for giving them up and for proving naysayers like the OP completely and uttely wrong.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Rediculos sweeping statement imo. I have never smoked and will never smoke. However, both my parents smoked 40 Major a day for the guts of 40 years. Then about 14 years ago, on a cold December evening, they said "fcuk this" threw their boxes in the fire and have never smoked since. No patches, no gum, no quick fixes, just will power and support.

Granted they were like demons for 2 months, but I'm so very proud of them, both for giving them up and for proving naysayers like the OP completely and uttely wrong.

Fair play to them but everyones different

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Try Allen Carr.

It is rightly said that; "the truth will set you free". Allen Carr didn't rely on gimmicks or tricks or willpower. He simply told the truth about what the smoking trap entails.

Once you learn how to spring the catch on a trap there is nothing left to struggle with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Total bolox, I gave up years ago and have had no issue, its up to you to keep off them,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

When you quit, you get withdrawal.
    This lasts for a time and then passes.
    usually about 3 days.

There is no "struggling" thereafter.
    You will do a bit of mental adjusting while you come to comfort terms
    with your new status of being an ex-smoker.

Note this is a different person to the non-smoker.
    i.e. somebody who has never ever smoked at all.

They don't get relapses.

see whyquit.com for some enlightening info on this area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

I wouldn't say so.
    We were all born non-smokers, therefore it's not in our make-up to smoke.
    Quitting is only a media and tobacco-industry driven myth to sustain profits, what I'm trying to say is they want you to quit, only remember you had to quit so maybe you shouldn't have.
    But if you are quitting, why not try our new quitting aids, we'll garantee it'll keep you quit until you stop using it, but by then you'll not have quit as you'll be back smoking again...
    Hope this make sense:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Cunsiderthis

staker wrote: »
    I wouldn't say so.
    We were all born non-smokers, therefore it's not in our make-up to smoke.
    Quitting is only a media and tobacco-industry driven myth to sustain profits, what I'm trying to say is they want you to quit, only remember you had to quit so maybe you shouldn't have.
    But if you are quitting, why not try our new quitting aids, we'll garantee it'll keep you quit until you stop using it, but by then you'll not have quit as you'll be back smoking again...
    Hope this make sense:)

I'm very experienced at giving up smoking myself, and think the patches and gum and all the paraphenaila of anti smoking is merely markething men trying to make a buck.

If you need it you need it, but often the replacement ( ie the gum or patches) becomes anew addiction in place of the tobacco.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tofueater

Hi Leom,

I'd have to say this is not the case. I gave up smoking about four years ago treating myself using acupuncture, smoked just one cigarette that week and have never looked back.
    I think the acupuncture really helped with the cravings, but the fact that my new boyfriend at the time (now my husband) couldn't stand the smell of cigarettes was definitely an encouraging factor that helped me to stay off them!!

Advertisement