Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to order a new dell [LG Philips] laptop screen

Options
  • 20-01-2010 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

I need a replacement screen for a 17" Dell Inspiron laptop - just wondering if anyone knows a good place to source those [excluding Dell].

It's an LG Phillips LCD panel : LP171WX2 17.0" WXGA+ (TL)(A1)

I'm checking with Dell myself but reckon they might be had elsewhere for more reasonable prices. I'll fit it myself.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,004 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I used these people the last time that I bought an lcd screen. The first one arrived damaged in transit, and they sent a replacement out immediately without any fuss, or even proof of damage. The first time that I was never asked for a photo.

http://www.lcdscreen.com/LG_PhilipsPart_LP171WX2_(TL)(A1).htm

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭zaphodbeeb

Thanks for that - by any chance do you remember how long it took to arrive?

zaphodbeeb wrote: »
    Thanks for that - by any chance do you remember how long it took to arrive?

About a week I think, definitely didn't keep me hanging around.

I was just talking to a supplier of these screens in the UK.

Apparently DELL code the EPROMS in the screens such that you have to buy a DELL encoded one.

In plain terms, even if I match the screen exactly (by part number) it doesn't matter a damn as if it hasn't come from Dell (and been programmed / coded by them) it simply won't work.

Unbelievable. Has anyone come across this before?

Dell are even meaner baxtards than I thought they were, if that's what they do. God knows what they charge for a replacement screen. (The one that I got from the US was a 17" for a Sony Vaio, and it was literally hundreds cheaper than Sony was charging.)

I knew that they did it with their "Dell" printers so that you can't use cheap Lexmark ink cartridges, and I could never find any firmware upgrades to change the printers to Lexmarks.

• Advertisement

.... so demand for them is high. I was told this by Dell when I phoned to enquire about a replacement. I was given the phone number of [what I think sounded like] "The Origin Store" which isn't a valid number.

So I guess their policy is, you've broken your screen - buy a new laptop.

If I do - it probably won't be DELL.....

Presumably you can't swap any components between screens?

Someone must have an answer for this problem, as those feckers shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.

Contact the supplier that I linked, he may know something.

I had a Dell laptop once, and from that experience, I wouldn't touch anything Dell-related with a bargepole.

I've emailed a few providers on this explaining the issue. I'll post back on what they say.

I did find an outlet in Dublin who have a 17" glossy screen from a Dell XPS for 150 quid. Said I could even test that it works right by taking the laptop into them before buying. I offered 130 [well, recession and all - worth a go] but was refused. Told them I'd think about it.

Thing is I don't want a second hand screen if possible [may not be] but more so I don't want a shiny / reflect your room lights into your face screen :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Apparently DELL code the EPROMS in the screens such that you have to buy a DELL encoded one.

In plain terms, even if I match the screen exactly (by part number) it doesn't matter a damn as if it hasn't come from Dell (and been programmed / coded by them) it simply won't work.

think supplier is messing with you ,i have never come seen this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

have a look on adverts.ie, when it's back up, often see displays on there.

• Advertisement

He had [he said] loads of them in stock - they're used in more than just Dell laptops. Also, had it confirmed from a completely seperate supplier in the US so I think it's right.....

I did post on adverts - there's a few smaller screens, but I'll keep on checking. I've accepted that I'm not going to have a screen in the next few days so amn't in a mad rush.

Thing is, new screen will be at least 100 euros. New much higher spec laptop to be had for 450 - 500.... still, I'd like to fix it even if I was to give it to someone when I'm done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Erper

cheaper? ebay

rubbish you can stick any screen in as long as it physcially fits and cables are the same, and this is confirmed

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mk2golf

Have to agree with duckysauce on this one, that sounds like complete and utter bull****. I have replaced countless laptop screens over the years for all makes, the majority have been dells. I have sourced screens from a variety of places, ebay, suppliers, scrapped laptops etc and never had a problem with a dell laptop rejecting a screen regardless of it's origin.

I recently replaced a 15.4" wxga screen from a dell inspiron with one I pulled from a toshiba, no issues.

That dealer is full of crap. I would love to see if any dell authorised repair tech's could confirm that this is pure bull**** from that supplier

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mk2golf

Just remembered I replaced a 17" screen before christmas on a dell inspiron 9400, still have the broken screen: samsung 17" wxga+, I replaced it with a philips, still going strong.......

We should have the UK contact's details, so's we can ring him and ask him what the hell he's talking about.:pac:

yeah and to show us a pic of the eprom:confused: on a lcd that he is talking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

You can replace any damaged LCD panel with any correct matching panel - some people get anal about it and want eg., the LG over the Samsung panels. Dell have photo guides on their website to show how to disassemble all of their systems for replacing all parts that anyone can download.

it's not a big job, but it is time consuming as the screen assembly usually has a tonne of other stuff now like wiring for battery charging indicators, webcam, etc., .

E.g, here: http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsm1730/en/sm/display.htm#wp1109848

Just go to Support / Service Manual and you will get all you need.

Second option is to order the replacement part direct from Dell and fit it yourself. Usually Dell will only supply the replacement screen assembly, but you can get the panel ID code on the panel itself to order online. The panels will cost €150-250 usually, depending on the spec of it, the display assembly ~ €300-350.

Third option is to order the replacement from them and also get them to send an engineer to come and fit it - I got this done next business day a few weeks ago.

As I said, Dell don't supply this screen any more.

Advertisement