Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIS course

Options
  • 20-01-2010 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I would like to do the commerce course but fear I won't get the points as they more than likely will shoot up this year. So as a result I'll probably end up doing business information systems... just wondering could you go on to do a masters in commerce/ business studies or are you restricted to do a masters in BIS. I hope to eventually be involved in human resource management... would BIS be the wrong course to choose? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'm not certain but you should be able to alright. One of the subjects available as an elective in first year is Management, you can then continue to do it through 2nd year and then in final year, I've kept it on since first year myself because it's a handy enough subject. I'll mention it to my lecturer during the week and get back to you to clarify further.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Animo

If you dont't have a good interest in computers, I'd advise you to stay away from BIS. The miain 3 course all deal with the IS side of things and the programming is fairly tough.

Animo wrote: »
    If you dont't have a good interest in computers, I'd advise you to stay away from BIS. The miain 3 course all deal with the IS side of things and the programming is fairly tough.

That's true...Java's a balls! I've found there's very little computer hardware looked at, most of my class wouldn't know how to fix a computer if they'd problems with it, BIS is basically coding languages moderately covered and IS theory with Accounting, a bit of Economics and management/marketing thrown in. It's not a bad course by any means but I'm not that fond of it, I think I'd have been better served doing comp. science

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Mweelrea

A guy from the BIS course in UCC came into my class last week, said that it was possible to switch after a year if the guys in charge of Commerce are happy that you have the requirements nessesary to go into Commerce without the need to repeat the first year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

PaulieC wrote: »
    That's true...Java's a balls! I've found there's very little computer hardware looked at, most of my class wouldn't know how to fix a computer if they'd problems with it, BIS is basically coding languages moderately covered and IS theory with Accounting, a bit of Economics and management/marketing thrown in. It's not a bad course by any means but I'm not that fond of it, I think I'd have been better served doing comp. science
    Agree with most of this. If your interested in just the computer side of things, you probably are better off doing Computer science. That said, it is fairly well balanced, it covers business and IS sides to business, after all, it is business information systems. Would like to see more on the hardware part alright though!

• Advertisement

Regarding switching into Commerce from BIS I think you need to have the L.C. points to do that....not certain now but I thought that was a requirement

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pirateninja

The majority of people who drop out of BIS or find it the hardest are those who wanted commerce but put down BIS because it has Business in the title. You do need to have a good grasp of computers to do it and it's not an easy course! I think you can change to commerce without having the points, you just sit an entry requirements exam but its really limited to how many people can do it.

The majority of people who drop out of BIS or find it the hardest are those who wanted commerce but put down BIS because it has Business in the title. You do need to have a good grasp of computers to do it and it's not an easy course! I think you can change to commerce without having the points, you just sit an entry requirements exam but its really limited to how many people can do it.

Untrue, I picked BIS because there's decent job oppertunities in the IT sector (well there was when I started!). I didn't have a good grasp of computers but I picked it up. Nothing prepares you for computer programming, no matter how much of a grasp you have of computers, I found. It suits some people down to the ground, others despise it, myself included. It took until my stint on placement to finally see what I want to end up doing career wise - Networking & computer hardware support - something which isn't covered enough in the course imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 laurensmith

Hi,

I'm hoping to study BIS at UCC this autumn. I'll be a mature student; aged 33. I was just wondering if many mature students have done the course and what has been their experience of the course and employability afterwards?

Lauren

Advertisement