Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physio so expensive

Options
  • 20-01-2010 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi, not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this question but here goes.

I'm currently undergoing physio for various back and leg problems. However; due to these same problems I am out of work at present and on disability benefit. I am still employed but they don't pay sick leave so surviving on €200 a week. I go to physio once a week at a cost of €50 a session, I need to increase the physio I'm doing to see any major improvement but I simply can't afford €100 on this alone. I also have medication that costs a fortune for before any bills have been paid my cash is gone.
    Is there an alternative, is there anywhere I can get cheaper physio without compromising my health?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

BigBelly wrote: »
    Hi, not sure if this is the appropriate forum for this question but here goes.

I'm currently undergoing physio for various back and leg problems. However; due to these same problems I am out of work at present and on disability benefit. I am still employed but they don't pay sick leave so surviving on €200 a week. I go to physio once a week at a cost of €50 a session, I need to increase the physio I'm doing to see any major improvement but I simply can't afford €100 on this alone. I also have medication that costs a fortune for before any bills have been paid my cash is gone.
    Is there an alternative, is there anywhere I can get cheaper physio without compromising my health?

Thanks
    Did you ever bring the issue up with your GP or a consultant? If so, what was their response. I am out of touch with the system (I went privately myself) but there might be public physios you could access. There might be a bit of a wait of course and perhaps it has to be done through a consultant. Sorry this reply isn't more informative but perhaps more people will read the thread now it's got a response.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

As far as I know your GP can refer you to a hospital physiotherapist in the public system. When my mother had sciatica she attended Beaumont hospital for physiotherapy and she didn't have to wait long for an appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

Either your GP or consultant can refer you publicly. However it is highly unlikely that a physio would be in a position to see you more than once a week in the public system. There'll also be a limit to the number of times you can be seen, it won't be on a continuous basis.

To be honest you'd be lucky to find anything much cheaper than €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Medical card for your meds if your out sick. Get referred to health board physio. All this should be free if your welfare.

You can pay for appts till health board comes up.
    On very different note see can you find a trainee physio who needs to get hours up. Thats pot luck though if there is a college near you.

Advertisement