Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Checklist...

Options
  • 20-01-2010 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,
    Just wanted to run through a list of all the additional documentation to be sent to CAO to make sure i have it all right and im not forgetting anything!

-Fetac Certificates
    -Copy of Junior Cert result statement
    -2 references ; 1 from course tutor and 1 from my volunteer co-ordinator (so thats a work one)
    -CV
    -Personal Statement

And i think thats it... or is it? Please let me know if there is anything else?!!!

Thanks!

p.s-is a copy of my birth cert required?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭December

:eek: references? We have to include references?! ... I'm pretty sure that nothing in the handbook states that references are needed... at least I bloody well hope not :( (I was under the impression only a handful of University require references to be sent directly to them with seperate applications.. like UCD? :/ )

Funny thing is I actually asked my employer a month or so ago for a reference just in case I was going to apply to UCD... but they said it wasn't companies policy to give out references! Can you believe that -.-

Going back to your original question though, have you already included on your CV your interests, hobbies, voluntary work etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Depends on the course and college. TCD didn't want letters of recommendation but UCD did. And I'm not sure if that was for all courses. I know for Health Science courses, it was the case.

Seems you have everything. Make sure your certs, etc. are photocopies. No birth cert needed at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭December

Phew :D

Just got all mine in the post today - now i can relax a little :o

Good luck to everyone else applying \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I was on the phone to DCU admissions to other day and even though they do not specifically ask for a reference letter they do ask for two referee's on the application. I wonder should I attach my references aswell as putting down the two referee's (my two referee's will be the two I have written references from already)

Not sure. Think I will just attach them anyway as the guy said to include everything that you think will help your application.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Will do that myself, seems my checklist is gonna comprise of:

(Mature Student)

Personal Statement
    C.V.
    Supplementary Application forms for relevant Universities
    Previous exam results
    FETAC exam results
    Copy of LC

• Advertisement

If (and depending on your course) say if you've done a first aid course and you've applied to a Health Science course add that in.

Guys, you have to think of it this way - your application will arrive on somebody's desk. They don't know you. They don't know how much you want this place. With your application you have to show them how much you want it, that you are suitable for the course and that you will last till the end of course.

Your CV, Personal statement, exam results, letters of recommendation, night course certs etc. will all help to paint a picture of you.

So if it means submitting reference letters even though they haven't specifically asked you for it - do you think that will get you the thumbs down? Of course not, it will be another bit of information, from somebody else saying how great you are!

(except for TCD. They specify DON'T send anything else! ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

Cool, thanks! Im just gona do a little more work on my personal statement and check over everything else and then send them off tomorrow or friday. I aksed in the post office today about best way to send stuff ( as i NEVER post anything...EVER!!) and she said swiftpost and it would cost around €5.50,which is reasonable enough considering the importance of it all!, and it guarantees next day delivery, and they give you a tracking number that you can use to make sure the letter has arrived at its destination!
    Isnt that great! the post office sure has come along way haha:D

I was reading through the replies there and just to make sure im right; im sending all the stuff i wrote in my checklist on the OP to the CAO, not to the various colleges?!
    Im applying to Trinity, D.I.T and Tallaght I.T and as far as i know Trinity want just their application -nothing attached to it, and D.I.T and Tallaght dont have their own applications so you would send them nothing at all??Is that correct? or do i send the last two some references etc? :confused:

Jesus every time i read posts here im having mini-panick attacks thinkin iv forgotten something or gotten something else completley arse ways...i SERIOUSLY have to calm down or i wont make it to college at all hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

As advised, i went back to my CAO and deleted what id written in the following fields;

Employment
    Voluntary/Unpaid work
    Hobbies/Interests

So im just wondering what i should put in my postal documents for these; should i just do it out on microsoft word with my own headings for each section and write what i need to write about each one?! or since im sending a CV and that will have my employment history and my voluntary work history on it, would that be sufficent? or would i still need to do the microsoft word doc with headings for each (as explained above) and send the CV as a seperate thing althogether?!!

Hi,

I have my personal statement complete and ready to send everything off come monday morning. Just one quick question- Should the statement be wrote on writting paper or just lined refill pad ? What has everyone else done ?

Writting paper seems the better option but just I would ask.

qwertytlk wrote: »
    As advised, i went back to my CAO and deleted what id written in the following fields;

Employment
    Voluntary/Unpaid work
    Hobbies/Interests

So im just wondering what i should put in my postal documents for these; should i just do it out on microsoft word with my own headings for each section and write what i need to write about each one?! or since im sending a CV and that will have my employment history and my voluntary work history on it, would that be sufficent? or would i still need to do the microsoft word doc with headings for each (as explained above) and send the CV as a seperate thing althogether?!!

Your employment details should be in your CV. Your voluntary work should also be in your CV and your personal statement, if relevant to your course. Hobbies/Interests should also be in your CV and personal statement.
    redout wrote: »
    Hi,

I have my personal statement complete and ready to send everything off come monday morning. Just one quick question- Should the statement be wrote on writting paper or just lined refill pad ? What has everyone else done ?

Writting paper seems the better option but just I would ask.

Everything
    should be typed.

• Advertisement

Larianne wrote: »

Everything should be typed.

Typed statement it is.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭isabell

do I need my birth cert if im non irish?
    and how many copies do i have to send to cao if i want apply to DKiT and DIT? one copy for each place?

Ok thanks Lar, thats grand!! I did both anyway just incase, but il just send the CV now!

Thanks hun.

Hey, that was so **** when the site was down wasnt it!! I didnt know what to do regarding the above so i havent even sent anything yet!! :eek: Just gona do it 1st thing monday..thank god its almost all over...well this part anyway!! haha:D

Yeah i would say to type everything, unless you have to do an application, then obviously they can see your writing etc!
    I typed it all anyway..and i aint changin it now!!!! ;)

Advertisement