Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

Options
  • 19-01-2010 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys

I`m not sure if this is the right place so apologies in advance.

I`m currently doing my Leaving and will almost certainly do French as part of my degree next year, so a friend and I decided we should spend the summer in Paris. Paris is obviously an incredibly expensive city and I`m almost certain I cant afford it but I really think it would help my French. However while my own French is pretty good, my friend`s isnt to be honest so it will obviously be tough for him to get a job and to communicate.

Has anyone here done something similar to this? And if so, how difficult was it to get accomadation, jobs etc?

Thanks in advance:D.

Comments

I haven't done what you are suggesting but would it not make more sense to go to the beach for the summer? Or work in a campsite or something?

Paris is very hot during the summer and from experience it empties out in August.

If immersed your friend would pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Blank_

I def don't advice you to go to Paris: very expensive, few jobs for too many people and Parisiens! (only kidding, or maybe not :D).

I from south of France and would advice you to check there first! Every summer loads of bars/hotels (mostly close to the beach) are looking for temp staff. If you French isnt very good you might end up as kitchen porter but eh, worth it I think!

So to sum up:
    Paris = very expensive, no jobs, no beach, pollution
    South= Jobs, prices more reasonable, beach and apéro (you will understand this one if you go there ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

Yeah I found that in Paris, although the Parisians want you to speak or at least try to speak French, they still talk back to you in English. IMO this isn't helpful for learning the language. That's partly the reason why I'm heading to Nice this summer. I study French in college so I need to spend time in France otherwise Trinity don't give me my degree. Also doing French in college kinda makes it almost a necessity if you want to do well, and also get by smoothly. I'm doing a course over there, and I'm hoping to also find some part time work.

Advertisement