Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tv and radio broadcasting course???

Options
  • 19-01-2010 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'v been looking online to find courses in teleivion and radio broadcasting. the only one i can find is in Tralee. Does anybody know of any other courses around ireland that last longer than just a few weeks? A proper level 8/7 college course.
    Or if Tralee IT is a good college for studying this course and just all round?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Go into Communications or Multimedia in DCU. Get involved with DCUfm and/or DCUtv and you're flying. Graduates from DCU who have worked with the radio station have been given jobs in the likes of TodayFM and Spin because they know how to work the controls in a radio station.

Don't look for a straight broadcasting course. Give yourself more flexibility. Straight degrees in "Broadcast journalism" are absolutely useless in this day and age. I wanted to do one, was advised against it. Now I'm studying Science Education, involved with DCUfm and I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carareen

what course in radio broadcasting is in tralee??

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭dodgystuff

Media Arts in DIT could get you into it or Multimedia. There's a Multimedia course in DCU and in CIT. They wouldnt be directly aimed at broadcasting but i'm sure there'd be a loophole and a way of getting around it, either of those courses would be a good basis i'd say.

I've put down Multimedia in CIT myself as my first option on my CAO. Looks like a really good course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭AddictedToYou

carareen wrote: »
    what course in radio broadcasting is in tralee??

It's called TV, Radio and New Media.
    dodgystuff wrote: »
    Media Arts in DIT could get you into it or Multimedia. There's a Multimedia course in DCU and in CIT. They wouldnt be directly aimed at broadcasting but i'm sure there'd be a loophole and a way of getting around it, either of those courses would be a good basis i'd say.

I've put down Multimedia in CIT myself as my first option on my CAO. Looks like a really good course.

Multimedia in CIT is a great course from what I've heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭*shadow*

Definitely look at courses like Journalism/Communications/Multimedia in DCU!!

Journalism is more politics focused but you get to do Radio as a module and TV too..it also has an INTRA work placement at the end which allows you to gain experience. Students in the past have gotten work with TV3 and various Radio stations.

If you want a broader course then go for Communications, you can always go on to do a masters in Journalism. Although having said that Journalism and Communications have many similar modules.

The best thing you can do once your in college is get lots of work experience in what you enjoy. DCU fm are brilliant so get involved loads with them!!

Spend your Summers getting a bit of work experience in your local radio station too..they're normally happy to take people on and it all goes towards having a great CV when you finish..Even try TV3..ask to work shadow..even for a day..they'll probably say no to begin with but if you keep knocking on enough doors people eventually take notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭high heels

I went the TV only route. I went to college 2 years ago I did a two year coarse in TV production and operations in Ballyfermot. It is one of the top courses in the industry. About 5 years ago they built a Brand new TV studio and bought all new equipment. They have two studios that the students can use, which is great. During the holidays they rent out the studios to production companies. Part of the agreement is that students have to work on the productions. By the time you leave you have experience in every thing you wanted to do Studios, Documentaries, Editing Cameras, Lights ( for theater and concerts) and you also go to welans to video a gig there which is fun… But you can also write on your CV all the productions you worked on that were working in the college.

I worked hard during the two years I worked on almost every production that visited the college and did a lot of extra work that wasn’t graded but gave me experience. It paid off as the head lecturer got me a job after the two years. I finished college on a Friday and walked into the job at 17:00 that night. It was a great feeling to do that just as the recession was kicking in. Its almost two years now and I’m still in the job and would Like to leave but There’s not many jobs out there at the moment, The industry is becoming a lot easier to do so a lot of people think they can give it a go with there own 200 euro camera. It’s a fun industry to be in During the summer I work on all the concerts Mostly doing the big screens So I get to see all the concerts I want but you start work on the one day concerts at 07:00 and depending on the truck getting out of the place at about 1 or 2 the latest was 4am… during the winter its all about the sport industry as there is not much else on.

To do well in this country you need to be cheap and work long hours but after a few years experience in Ireland the majority of people move to the UK to work. The pay is a lot better and there is a lot more TV channels there. So more work.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

There's also a course in IT Tallaght whicH i did, its fairly broad and you do a bit of, radio, telly, graphics photography and theory
    http://www.it-tallaght.ie/FullTimeCourses/Humanities/Name,17363,en.html

The main thing if you want to work in media is to get as much work experience as possible. I did the degree in ITT and now I work in a radio station making ads and a TV station doing sound. I learned so much more from actually being in a radio station and a tv station than I did in 4 years of college. Mainly because you don't want to say no to work you do whatever you can to get experience!
    You learn the basic principles in college but you only really put them into practice and learn how the world works when you get into the industry.Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Blackjackdavey

andyman wrote: »
    Go into Communications or Multimedia in DCU. Get involved with DCUfm and/or DCUtv and you're flying. Graduates from DCU who have worked with the radio station have been given jobs in the likes of TodayFM and Spin because they know how to work the controls in a radio station.

Don't look for a straight broadcasting course. Give yourself more flexibility. Straight degrees in "Broadcast journalism" are absolutely useless in this day and age. I wanted to do one, was advised against it. Now I'm studying Science Education, involved with DCUfm and I love it!

I just graduated from DCU with an honours degree in Multimedia and I've worked in radio settings not DCU fm but i know my way around how to work a sound desk and radio controls but it's far harder to get into jobs at TodayFm and spin than you make out.

Also my advice would be to steer clear of multimedia, there was a lot of emphasis put on fairly heavy computer coding stuff like PHP, CSS, XHTML, Programming and Web management. Whereas other courses like Communications got better experience doing stuff like interviewing skills, program production etc and multimedia was more the science about how to record video, how to edit sound etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8 hanbanan

iv applied for DCU, Tralee and BCFE so we'll see where i end up!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Blackjackdavey

best of luck with whatever you end up doing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 jneil

hanbanan wrote: »
    I'v been looking online to find courses in teleivion and radio broadcasting. the only one i can find is in Tralee. Does anybody know of any other courses around ireland that last longer than just a few weeks? A proper level 8/7 college course.
    Or if Tralee IT is a good college for studying this course and just all round?
    Yes, there's an excellent broadcasters' interactive online course here: www.cirbroadcasting.com/broadcastingcourse.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jneil

jneil wrote: »
    Yes, there's an excellent broadcasters' interactive online course here: www.cirbroadcasting.com/broadcastingcourse.html

the correct URL is: www.cirbroadcasting.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2 John Herlihy

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know that FAS Tralee, County Kerry are now recruiting for their City and Guilds Diploma in Radio Production.

It's a 42 week full-time course delivered in a live radio station and will provide trainees with the right mix of knowledge, skills and attitude needed to begin a career in radio. 36 weeks training, 6 week industry placement.

Course Places are limited to 18. Interviews begin on August 9th

You can register in your local Employment Office or call Course Recruitment at FAS Tralee on 066-7126444.

Any questions - ping me back a message or reply.

Thanks!

John

Advertisement