Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vw transporter, pop up roof, commercial tax??

Options
  • 19-01-2010 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Just getting a new transporter. The last one I had was a cracking half real van half camper (ie everything was removable/collapsable.) I do want to stand up now though in my new van when using it as a camper this time round but have a get a low roof because I park in cities a lot and it's just great to be able to park anywhere I need to. Can you tax / insure a van with a pop up as a commercial. Does anyone know? Thanks a lot

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 joncollier

You can have a pop top on a commercial and be legal according to :
    Whitegates Service Station & Test Centre Ltd.
    Whitegates, Wicklow Town, Co. Wicklow
    tel: 0404 673 31

I was there putting a van through its DOE and quizzed them about the same subject, seats are the big no no, windows are fine though.
    If you ring them they'll confirm this.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

as far as i know its your only option as a pop top will not meet the minimum height requirements for classification of a camper...

happened to a friend who tried to get a tansporter with pop top imported as a campervan and had no luck!

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 joncollier

He does'nt want to tax it as a camper, he wants to keep it as a commercial.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ir555

joncollier wrote: »
    He does'nt want to tax it as a camper, he wants to keep it as a commercial.

and the point/ contribution of your post is?

My last post clearly states that will be his only option as it cannot be classed as a camper due to the roof height as far as i now (friend was forced to import a VW pop top with all the necessary camper constraints as a commericial (due to the roof height). I could be wrong and stand corrected...

A pop top roof does not make any vehicle a campervan.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

ir555 wrote: »
    and the point/ contribution of your post is?
    Now, now ... easy ...

I'd say the point was/is a simple misunderstanding

• Advertisement
Advertisement