Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to install windows

Options
  • 19-01-2010 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

I have an old laptop where the cd drive doesnt read, i need to install windows xp on the hardrive of this laptop.
    If i use a USB to IDE drive adapter can i just drag across the windows directory from another laptop or????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

Not a chance - see if you can borrow a drive off a friend, or raid the electronics recycling bin at your local recycling centre..

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭thecelt

yeah i wasnt sure if that wud work,
    its for a ibm t42 laptop,
    been tempted to try buying a drive for it but not sure if it will be worth it,
    was a laptop i got from someone

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭TriStar6

If you have a usb key and the windows cd, you can:
    from a good machine copy the contents of the windows cd to the usb key,
    plug in the usb key to the machine with the broken cd drive,
    copy the files to the hard drive of it and run setup!

yeah i had thought about that first, but when i googled it people said it could be done but it looked like you had to convert stuff and change other stuff etc so that you could make it run from the usb key

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭TriStar6

you would have to make a bootable usb key (and the laptop bios would have to support it) if you where going to install from the usb key, that's not what I mean.
    I would use the usb key just to copy the setup files from the cd to the "broken" machines hard drive, then run setup from there.
    I'm making a presumption that there is already an operating system on the hard drive??

• Advertisement

no thats the prob, it appears there is a wiped hard drive with no operating system

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you need to INSTALL windows from the USB you can't just copy windows XP onto another machine, unlike say windows 98 or linux

if the laptop won't take a floppy drive then the USB must be bootable

HP had a utility to make a USB key bootable by formatting it - then copy the XP cd to the drive

USB here means memory stick or hard drive , whichever the laptop will recognise and boot from

Advertisement