Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Don Frye Back in The UFC

Options
  • 19-01-2010 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

"You don't come to quote movies or thank your sponsors," Don Frye recently barked on SportingNews.com’s The Rumble . "You don't come to have your fingernails or your toenails painted. Goddamn, you come to fight, not to be a fairy. Fight, that's what these two old boys are going to do.”

Those “two old boys” in question are, of course, Randy Couture and Mark Coleman. The legendary former UFC champions are set to do battle at UFC 109 next month.

Frye, a former UFC tournament winner and true icon of the old PRIDE FC, went on to explain that this particular event is the first UFC PPV he’s ordering in the last 10 years.

Most fans are complaining about the main event. So why is Frye, a non-UFC fighter, going so far out of his way to create hype for this show?

Well, we got our answer early this morning.

“I’m not saying Don Frye’s coming back to fight in the UFC,” Dana White told the wildly popular Juiceboxing 101 author Justin Orel. “What I’m saying is, Don Frye’s coming back to dominate the UFC.”

At first glance, it seems like Frye’s vintage value, especially in light of the new Best of PRIDE series beginning, is the only reason he got the contract. That, or so many fighters are injured or sick right now that Frye is a last-ditch effort. Dana assures us this isn’t the case.

The always-controversial UFC President then further illustrated the details behind Frye’s signing, but not before firing some shots at future critics.

“Don Frye is only 44-years-old. That’s not a big deal anymore. Randy’s 46. Coleman’s 45. And they’re sniffing at the Light-Heavyweight title right now. If you wanna point fingers at old fighters, look at Hershel Walker. He’s older than all of them, and he’s not even a real f***in’ fighter. Don Frye is a legit badass.”

Also chiming in almost immediately on Frye’s signing was UFC commentator Joe Rogan.

“I’ve seen a LOT of guys come and go throughout the years,” Joe told me. “And I’ve called thousands of fights. So when people ask me about the most memorable fight I’ve seen, I always tell them about the Don Frye-Yoshihiro Takayama fight from PRIDE 21. How often do you see an Olympic wrestler bang like that?”

Well, Joe, I personally am not thrilled with seeing Don Frye "bang" anything. However, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't super excited for his UFC re-debut in 2010.

Frye’s contract is supposedly only for one fight, so I’m assuming it’s going to be a big one. Don’t be surprised to see Frye stroll into the Octagon following the Couture-Coleman fight and engage in an epic stare-down with his next opponent.

Or his next victim.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

So theyre setting up a new geriatric division by the sounds of it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Im waiting for a decent source to confirm. Im shocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Lord Muck

So theyre setting up a new geriatric division by the sounds of it

:) ha ha

Fyre is a legend. tough as nails but, again, another come back by a fighter well his best.

Whats White talking about when he's saying Coleman and Randy are sniffing around the LHW title?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Niall0

Don Frye is Awesome, I hope he gets a good fight and i hope he wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I think this will be a preamble to a hall of fame ticket for Frye. Maybe admit himself and Matt Hughes the same night.

Frye vs Wanderlei would be an epic fight IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭RNCFAN

Is this from Bleacher report? No offense but if it is it's probably bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 thechampishere

in my crystal ball i see ken shamrock is going to make a lot of noise soon, something along the lines of i broke both don fryes ankles and never got the decision! im as good as randy, and the people still wanna see me and tito one more time :D

FAKE

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

If its true then its just a mockery and is not a good sign for fans as its just becoming a total circus and might aswell change its name to WWF or whatever the cool kids are watching these days.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

Well Randy versus Frye would be worth the watch

Some very strange sigings recently by UFC, most of which haven't done too well. E.G. Trigg, Yvel

Next sigining will be Kimura

• Advertisement

cowzerp wrote: »
    If its true then its just a mockery and is not a good sign for fans as its just becoming a total circus and might aswell change its name to WWF or whatever the cool kids are watching these days.

Or PRIDE

It is fake, read the yoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Forest Master

I'm calling bull on this. The OP didn't even quote a source, plus it hasn't been reported anywhere else. And Don Frye is retired - his body is in bits from years of abuse. Comparing him to Coleman & Couture is moot, because they can still fight.
    cowzerp wrote: »
    might aswell change its name to WWF or whatever the cool kids are watching these days.

The cool kids are watching UFC nowadays.

Cowzerp - why did you edit my post? It looks the same to me!

edited by cowzerp
    i merged the 2 as it is easier that way.

Reply: ah yes, sorry about that - forgot it was 2 posts! I thought my post still looked the same! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭stevemc01

Many of you will know that James Toney has been plaguing Dana White to let him fight in the Ufc for a one off fight so he can prove that he is better than the top UFC fighters, then go back to boxing.

The rumour (and its only a rumour) going a round a few sites yesterday is that Frye was being brought back in as a possible opponent for James Toney. If Toney beats Frye, the UFC save face in the knowledge that he didnt beat one of their top guys and basically fought a guy in his mid 40's who is 10 years past his prime.

Although realistically Frye should still have what it takes to get Toney to the ground and keep him there IMO.

stevemc01 wrote: »
    Many of you will know that James Toney has been plaguing Dana White to let him fight in the Ufc for a one off fight so he can prove that he is better than the top UFC fighters, then go back to boxing.

The rumour (and its only a rumour) going a round a few sites yesterday is that Frye was being brought back in as a possible opponent for James Toney. If Toney beats Frye, the UFC save face in the knowledge that he didnt beat one of their top guys and basically fought a guy in his mid 40's who is 10 years past his prime.

Although realistically Frye should still have what it takes to get Toney to the ground and keep him there IMO.

Thats so stupid if true. Just an utter pointless excercise. Safe that nonsense for a smaller company.

Advertisement