Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I did this to myself and so did all of you !

Options
  • 19-01-2010 9:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭

I have come to the conclusion that the way my life has played out that only I (myself) would have gone to so much trouble to make my life so freaking difficult.

I do not mean myself now in the present but myself sometime in the future.
    Who or what else would go to so much trouble to test/punish/educate me.

In essence I have done this to myself from sometime in the future.

Now if only I could work out the why and the how ?

Is this the right forum for my idea ?

Comments

blinding wrote: »

No, not at all, I'm afraid.

I'm not too sure where to move it, to be honest.

I'll move it to Philosophy. If it doesn't suit here, do what you see fit mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

maybe it's yourself in the past doing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭Black Uhlan

thought it was gonna be about masturbating....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I think about this all the time when I do something.

I think it's the mentality behind credit cards and how people get themselves into crippling dept.

They subconciously think to themselves "screw my future-self, present-self wants this item now, I'll let my future-self deal with figuring out how to pay for it"

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Gary L

I have come to the conclusion that the way my life has played out that only I (myself) would have gone to so much trouble to make my life so freaking difficult.

In essence I have done this to myself from sometime in the future.

I get the individual responsibility aspect thats cool. Your responsible for your own existence etc.., the time travel is a bit of a leap for me. What do ya mean?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Gary L wrote: »
    I get the individual responsibility aspect thats cool. Your responsible for your own existence etc.., the time travel is a bit of a leap for me. What do ya mean?
    Who only I would/could go to so much trouble to put myself through such highs(Its not all bad thankfully) and lows.

I am hoping that it is some kind of educational experience type of exercise. Though sometimes brutal.

There may be many different life experiences (learnings)

Afterall how much does one learn in one life whether long or short.

In the future we may realise that man/ woman needs many more than one life to get a broad education.

All things that we can imagine seem possible in the future. We only have to look at what people may have imagined (and thought impossible) in the past to consider that everthing that we can imagine and even stuff that we cannot imagine is possible in the future.

Only the self could put its existance through so much.

For whatever reasons ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Spirituality Forum -> that way...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

To add another dimension to this is it possible that the "self" that I refer to could be us all, as the all encompassing "collective"

The "self" feels that it needs further/broader/wider experiences and learning.

If I am right, then sometime in the far and distant future can this small part be recognised with some accreditation (please):)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

Time in-itself is infallible.. what ever you do today is always going to or have being laid out by time to insure tomorrow goes as it always meant to go. just as what we did 10 years ago was always meant to be in order to get to the present and so what we do after tomorrow despite us being unknowing has already being booked out by Time. :rolleyes: Oooo well thats how I put it any way.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭randomuser77

Time in-itself is infallible.. what ever you do today is always going to or have being laid out by time to insure tomorrow goes as it always meant to go. just as what we did 10 years ago was always meant to be in order to get to the present and so what we do after tomorrow despite us being unknowing has already being booked out by Time. :rolleyes: Oooo well thats how I put it any way.:confused:

Really?

If I were able to time travel, I'm not entirely sure that everything would pan out the same way in the past, even if I didn't intervene. Perhaps some things are just so random that they will never pan out the same way again, even if the circumstances were replicated exactly. This would be especially true of human choices in light of our fickleness. How many choices do we make every day on instinct or on a whim?

Even matters isolated from our capriciousness turn out differently. Would the exact same lotto balls be drawn yesterday if I traveled back in time? Even if they were, would we have all picked exactly the same numbers that we did, bearing in mind how often we pick them on a whim? If we didn't, then does it matter that the same numbers were drawn, if the end result is different? What is the probability that the balls would be drawn the same anyway? The balls will be loaded by a human. If there is a human hand involved, can we believe that they would be loaded in exactly the same way? Even if they had, is it a certainty that the chaos that unfolds when they are released will be the same chaos as was experienced the first time?

Supposing, then, that time will not replicate itself, is it possible for your future "self" to predict what the end result of his actions will be? Any sort of change to the past by your future self is likely to alter the future that he belongs to, especially if he intervenes directly in his own past self's life. Is it not plausible that in attempting to influence his past self, he alters the manner that his future self intervenes, thereby altering the way in which his future self influences his past self, and so on, ad infinatum, with unpredictable results. Therefore, even if we accept that your future self intervened in your life, is it not possible that he had intended some other consequence but misjudged the implications of his actions. At the very least, the intent of such an intervention, if it existed, cannot be read.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement