Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor needed for a day.

Options
  • 19-01-2010 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone on here can help me out. I am running a martial arts competition in a few weeks and need a doctor present for the day. The event is happening in donegal and is expected to last 3/4 hours.
    Cash payment on the day.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

The problem with the new medical council regulations is that a doctor in training is not allowed to work outside their training post. I don't think they realised the implication of that on sports clubs when they changed the rules. Maybe ring around some local GPs and see if they are interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

True - its a huge nuisance.

Many Emergency Medicine Registrars (A&E) used to do events medical cover on days off but now they are not permitted to under the IMC rules and this dictat means that the people often best suited to work at these events are now banned!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Could you not get someone like the St.Johns ambulance to do this or is there guidelines where an actual doctor has to be present?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Medics will be present, however a doctor is also required to cover the event.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

boxer.fan wrote: »
    Medics will be present, however a doctor is also required to cover the event.
    It's a tough one. You need a GP, Consultant or doctor on the general register.
    Reallisticsally they also need ATLS or ICGP pre hospital trauma training which is up to date.
    Also their insurance needs to be appropriate.
    I'd suggest contacting the Faculty of Sports and exercise medicne at he Royal College of Surgeons in Dublin and see if they can suggest some doctors.
    Possibly ask boxing Ireland as well.
    The wrong doctor is worse than no doctor IMO as it give a false sense or reassurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

The Order of Malta Ambulance Corps www.orderofmalta.ie and The St Johns Ambulance Brigade both have qualified doctors amongst their ranks, and may be able to supply someone to your for the day, in return for a decent donation. Good luck.

Advertisement