Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Norv Tuner gets contract extension with Chargers

Options
  • 19-01-2010 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,956 ✭✭✭✭

I read this and I find it unbelievable. For me the San Diego Chargers are the biggest underachievers over the last decade. Turner for me has not done enough in the 3 years he has been there. I was expecting him to be sacked after their horrendous display against the Jets but he gets a 3 year extension, I'm just shocked by this development.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d815d2c9e&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

+1 on the expecting him to be sacked

Really really surprised about this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Si Conando

The chargers are 32-16 regular season with norv and 3-3 postseason, and AJ clearly likes Norv, so i certainly wasnt expecting a firing. The jets loss was obviously horrendous, but the other 2 losses in the playoffs were against an undefeated pats team in the championship game in foxboro, with a banged up team. The other against the superbowl champ steelers in pittsburgh. Both games were fairly close.

While the team's indicipline on sunday falls somewhat on norv, i still feel this team can seriously contend over the next 5 years for superbowls. Sometimes you just have to acknowledge that you play like crap, and anybody can beat anybody in the NFL. Nate Kaeding being one of the great playoff bottlers is more of a concern.

The reason i would like Norv to stay is the development of Rivers and the great passing offence they have now. Ideally though i would have liked Norv to stay, but as OC, and bring in someone like Cowher as head coach. I certainly still expect the Chargers to cruise the division again next year with a similar record. Obviously keeping the head come playoff time is the major worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Si Conando wrote: »
    The chargers are 32-16 regular season with norv and 3-3 postseason, and AJ clearly likes Norv, so i certainly wasnt expecting a firing. The jets loss was obviously horrendous, but the other 2 losses in the playoffs were against an undefeated pats team in the championship game in foxboro, with a banged up team. The other against the superbowl champ steelers in pittsburgh. Both games were fairly close.

While the team's indicipline on sunday falls somewhat on norv, i still feel this team can seriously contend over the next 5 years for superbowls. Sometimes you just have to acknowledge that you play like crap, and anybody can beat anybody in the NFL. Nate Kaeding being one of the great playoff bottlers is more of a concern.

The reason i would like Norv to stay is the development of Rivers and the great passing offence they have now. Ideally though i would have liked Norv to stay, but as OC, and bring in someone like Cowher as head coach. I certainly still expect the Chargers to cruise the division again next year with a similar record. Obviously keeping the head come playoff time is the major worry.

As you say they were beaten by a Superbowl champions and one of the most explosive offences in history before Sunday so thats fairly excusable. This Jets loss though has to hurt his standing and he will need to get deep into the playoffs next year. I think its very impressive that they have been as successful the last two years when you consider that LT isnt an elite back anymore and they are now a pass happy offence. Changes like that usually take a lot of time to bed in but Turner has very successfully managed to do that.

As far as Nate Kaeding being 'one of the great playoff bottlers is more of a concern,' Sunday was very disappointing from him but he is still one of the top two or three kickers in football and last year he came up clutch in the playoffs against the Colts to send the game to overtime in the last minute so I wouldnt rush to judgement because of Sunday.

You say you'd have prefered for a Bill Cower type to come and Norv to be an OC. Do you think any head coach would step directly down to OC with the same franchise? I couldnt see too many doing such a thing.

frostie500 wrote: »
    As you say they were beaten by a Superbowl champions and one of the most explosive offences in history before Sunday so thats fairly excusable. This Jets loss though has to hurt his standing and he will need to get deep into the playoffs next year. I think its very impressive that they have been as successful the last two years when you consider that LT isnt an elite back anymore and they are now a pass happy offence. Changes like that usually take a lot of time to bed in but Turner has very successfully managed to do that.

As far as Nate Kaeding being 'one of the great playoff bottlers is more of a concern,' Sunday was very disappointing from him but he is still one of the top two or three kickers in football and last year he came up clutch in the playoffs against the Colts to send the game to overtime in the last minute so I wouldnt rush to judgement because of Sunday.

You say you'd have prefered for a Bill Cower type to come and Norv to be an OC. Do you think any head coach would step directly down to OC with the same franchise? I couldnt see too many doing such a thing.

Kaeding kicked a 26 yarder against the Colts last year, which doesnt really prove much. He missed three crucial ones last Sunday. He missed a massive one in 06 to go to OT against the pats, which was 54 yards. He missed a 40yd in OT against the Jets, in the 04 playoffs. He is 8 of 14 in the playoffs with 6 of those being under 30 yards and a long of 42yds. He is one of the best kickers year after year in the regular season, but has consistently fallen short in the playoffs.

The bit about cowher was a fantasy, never something that was going to happen as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Kaeding kicked a 26 yarder against the Colts last year, which doesnt really prove much. He missed three crucial ones last Sunday. He missed a massive one in 06 to go to OT against the pats, which was 54 yards. He missed a 40yd in OT against the Jets, in the 04 playoffs. He is 8 of 14 in the playoffs with 6 of those being under 30 yards and a long of 42yds. He is one of the best kickers year after year in the regular season, but has consistently fallen short in the playoffs.

The bit about cowher was a fantasy, never something that was going to happen as you say.

Fair enough, I didnt dig too deep on Kaeding-good stats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

As a Raider fan i was delighted when I heard he had signed an extension! Here's to another few years of the San Diego Chokers!

As a Raider fan i was delighted when I heard he had signed an extension! Here's to another few years of the San Diego Chokers!

The Chargers could have a selection of the worst coaches in the history of football and still beat the raiders twice a year:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

in fairness to Turner, he's done well at San Diego. I thought it was madness sacking Marty Schottenheimer but Turner has got the Chargers deeper into the playoffs. I also wouldn't put the Jets loss squarely on Turner. Chargers have a history of absolute f**k ups. The loss to the Patriots under Schottenheimer was the biggest choke I've seen in any sport.

The Chargers could have a selection of the worst coaches in the history of football and still beat the raiders twice a year:D

Come back to me when you guys win a Superbowl or 3, then we'll talk!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Really thought he was on the way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Norv was never going to be fired. Where did anybody get that idea?. Even before the Jets game the dog on the street knew a contract extension was coming regardless of the result.

The fact that the team (esp Kaeding and Cro) did not show up is the reason we lost not Norv. Oh and the Jets have a decent D.

But NO WAY do we lose that game if our team played anything like they have the last 6 weeks. Kaeding makes 2 of the 3 kicks he missed and we win simple as. He was automatic in the regular season and choked sunday. We thought he had got over his pressure misses, not so unfortunately.

To the Raider fans who rejoice at us keeping Norv I have to laugh. With Al at the helm there you havn't a prayer of getting anywhere close to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Clawfeld

I know this is a bit late but I haven't been on boards recently....

As a chargers fan, I was worried about the Jets game... We had won 11 in a row.. played really well and I think playing the Jets, the chargers got a bit complacent.. A simple example is when the usually reliable Gates dropped two passes which he would have caught no problem, you could see him looking away before he even caught the ball in one of drops. If we had of lost a game after we secured the 2nd seed I think it would have been a wake up call.. sure look at the saints and colts now... in the super bowl after late season defeats...

I think the D needs a big shake up... Let Cro go (he had one good season and then 2 sh*t ones) and try to keep Merriman.. I know we prob won't as AJ doesn't seem to like him but I think he can add alot to the team and next season he should be fully fit... he will also help English develop as well...

On Offence.. we need to get the running game going to give Rivers some help... now weather its getting rid of LT (I would like to see him finish his career at SD) or getting better blockers up front I don't mind... but we need to get a running game goin...

I know I have gone a bit off topic but as for NORV... I'm happy he is staying... if you look at the changes he has brought in from it being a run first team to being a pass first team he has done a very good job.. specially with Rivers... And going back over his record he has always gotten his team ready for the home stretch... The team just need to get the job done in January.

As for Kaeding... he was always going to have a bad game this season... it just happened to be the Jets game... every kicker this season has had a bad game.. Kaeding is not a bad kicker..look at his record.. He should have made 2 of the kicks but it wasn't just down to him.. As they keep saying.. All 3 phases need to be working in the playoffs and none of them worked very well against the Jets.

P.S. As for the JOKELAND RAIDERS fan.... your laughing at us with Norv.... Al Davies still wants to go with Russell.... thats a joke in itself!! :)

Leslie91 wrote: »
    To the Raider fans who rejoice at us keeping Norv I have to laugh. With Al at the helm there you havn't a prayer of getting anywhere close to us.
    P.S. As for the JOKELAND RAIDERS fan.... your laughing at us with Norv.... Al Davies still wants to go with Russell.... thats a joke in itself!!

trophies.jpg

Advertisement