Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

spare batteries

Options
  • 19-01-2010 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

hey lads does anybody know where can i get a second hand car battery??

d15 area would be the best but i can travel over dublin if required

will appreciate a lot

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Call lone of the car recycling places like Thorntons or Hammond Lane. They'll have loads which they might part from for a nominal sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,005 ✭✭✭✭unkel

E39MSport wrote: »
    Call lone of the car recycling places like Thorntons or Hammond Lane. They'll have loads which they might part from for a nominal sum.

It wouldn't be very professional if they did - possibly even illegal.

What do you need the battery for, feelites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Personally I think getting a second hand battery is looking for trouble. For the sake of saving a few quid, it could cost you a lot of hassle!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

just get a Micra battery or one that's being discontinued in Halfords

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Somehow I've a feeling that most second hand car batteries are well past their prime. For the 70euro that one costs, get a new one.

Nobody changes them if they are working. Well we don't anyway. If you want, I can sell you three, besides the fact that they were removed from cars when they were dead and I haven't taken them to the recycling yet.

If you want the batteries for something other than your car, you're messing with highly corrosive acids....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭feelites

my car is gonna get sold and i just need the battery to start it
    i thought there are some places with good used batteries

look, how many new cars beeing involved in serious accidents still have good batterries
    so maybe some garages/dismanters keep them as a spare/second hand items

am i wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

feelites wrote: »
    my car is gonna get sold and i just need the battery to start it
    i thought there are some places with good used batteries

look, how many new cars beeing involved in serious accidents still have good batterries
    so maybe some garages/dismanters keep them as a spare/second hand items

am i wrong?

You're dead right m8. There are almost new batteries in some cars that go to the crushers. They are removed from the vehicle before crushing. You could do worse than ask. I don't think you'll go to jail for it but I'm not a lawyer. In fact, you'd probably be saving the environment a tad by using one of them rather than the acid being made safe and disposed of and the lead recycled not to mention the plastic etc.

....Some of the end of life yards are probably also being unprofessional when they take calls from elderly people etc asking to take their motors off their hands when normally they would have to pay.

Advertisement