Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to Paraglide

Options
  • 19-01-2010 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

This is something I'd really love to do but I haven't a clue where to start.
    Can any of you paraglide or know where I could get training preferably in the North West?
    How long does training take?
    What sort of costs are involved?
    Would I need to buy the equipment first?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm just trying to get as much info as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 akuamunki

Well first off the best place for you to start is by getting onto the IHPA, its the governing body in Ireland. There is a small but very active community of paragliders all over the island.

The best way to keep up to date is on their google groups chat here where most of the chatter, slagging and info gets passed about.

As for learning to paraglide there are several instructors based in Ireland but your biggest issue is going to be logging hours. Flying is hugley weather dependant and getting enough time logged can take months of aborted weekends and short hops in Irish muggy weather. Though it might be a good idea to do a short intro here to see if you like it.

If you are really committed to getting airbourne and qualified quickly your best bet is to take your course abroad, you are more likely to get hours logged and it will end up cheaper in the end, even with the flights and accom if you play your cards right.

I did a lot of research for months (during a soggy winter) and decided on skynomads in sopot, bulgaria. Spent 3 weeks there and did ParaPro1-3 there. Logged a fair few hours and came back a few weeks after to do more cross country training I liked it so much.

But dont take my word for it, if you want to do your own research start asking questions on the IHPA chat and also on the Pargliding Forum, this is a worldwide resource and an essentail source of info for every possible question you could have. Have a browse before you ask anything as most of your basic questions have been answered a thousand times, though everyone is fairly cool with newcomers.

Good luck with your searching and dont give up, if you follow through it will probably be the coolest experience of your life.

Steve

Forgot to answer any of your questions :) ramble ramble

How long does training take?

Elementry Pilot (ParaPro1) course generally takes about 5-6 days
    If you want to do this in Ireland check the IHPA website for qualified instructors in Ireland. Your choices abroad are near infinte, do your research.

What sort of costs are involved?

Varies wildly depending on where you do it.

Would I need to buy the equipment first?

Dont buy anything until you have finished at least your Elementry, I have met people who have blown 2 grand on new gear, and decided during the first weeks flying that it is simply not for them, to technical, too scary, whatever. Also you wont know what you need until you finish learning to fly. Use the schools gear and get some perspective before spending anything. Your first set of gear will be like your first car, safe, functional and ready to take an inevitable beating, dont spend your life savings on a mercedes, get a nice reliable secondhand fiesta first ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

Cheers Steve, Some great info there. The only problem now is to get time to get the training cos I work Monday-Friday and it's hard to get time off. I live in Donegal and I don't think there is anywhere nearby that provides the training but I'll have a look into it.

Ah, didnt realise you meant that far north:rolleyes:

Your best bet would be to contact the Ulster folks instead: UHPC

Check out the getting started section. Incidently if time off is a factor then you are in luck as most of the flying in Ireland is weekend pilots, only a few lucky souls can get out to a hill on a tuesday afternoon and Im not one of them. Thats why I chose the zero to hero option and immersed myself in it for a few weeks on holidays, best trip I ever made. Most people sit by a pool on holidays, I flew 20kms across balkan mountain ranges only landing because I wanted lunch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

akuamunki wrote: »
    I flew 20kms across balkan mountain ranges only landing because I wanted lunch :D

Bloody hell that sounds amazing! I've go to do this!

• Advertisement

akuamunki wrote: »
    I did a lot of research for months (during a soggy winter) and decided on skynomads in sopot, bulgaria. Spent 3 weeks there and did ParaPro1-3 there. Logged a fair few hours and came back a few weeks after to do more cross country training I liked it so much.
    Steve

hey - how much did the first 3 weeks cost out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mupser

check out cloud surfer ireland. great value genuine guy and not to far away. may see you there

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Agnes S

My partner and I did our training in Ager, Spain - 5 days for Elementary Pilot. We loved it and bought our gear at the end of the course through the school in Ager. We did the next stage in Sopot, Bulgaria the following year and we did our Para Pro 3 in Algodonales, Spain the year after. Each year we combined the courses with our annual holiday so it worked out ok financially. The reason we chose to go abroad was that due to theinclement weather here it usually takes a long time to get through each stage of the training.

I hope you did get to fulfil your dream and have had many happy and safe flying experiences todate :-)

Agnes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭whats newxt

Also thinking of taking up paragliding anyone know anybody in Tipperary? Also how much are lessons?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Agnes S

Jerry Parles is from Tipperary and can be contacted at midlandp at gmail dot com Tel: 086 223 2955.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement