Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can windows 7 be transferred between computers?

Options
  • 19-01-2010 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, I am currently running the Windows 7 RC, which is going to die soonish,which I'm very much aware of...

I am also considering building a PC in the near future, so I was wondering, could I buy Windows 7, install it on my laptop now, and then when I build a PC remove it from the laptop and install it on the new PC?

Also, what's the cheapest way of getting Windows 7 atm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,159 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not Cheap. You would need a Retail Windows 7 License. Microsoft may be nice with a phonecall and allow you to transfer the license to the new motherboard on an OEM license provided the old board was destroyed. But idk, Ive never had to do any of this.

I have similar thoughts about my own laptop in the same situation. It's either going to boil down to reverting it to its Factory Default - Windows Vista. My other option is buying Retail, but thats not really in my budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Retail is what? €90??

Would this do the job? Or could this only be installed on PC's which had Windows already on it? (so not a newly built one)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Premium-Upgrade-Vista/dp/B002DGS81C/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 irish_stickman

dulpit wrote: »
    and then when I build a PC remove it from the laptop and install it on the new PC?
    it is possible to just remove the hard drive from the laptop and put it into the new pc but that would not be recommended, your PC would be very unstable, if your laptop is made buy Dell or Siemens try get an OEM copy of the windows 7 install disk

my advice would be to use an open source operating system on your laptop then purchase windows 7 when you build your new PC

• Registered Users Posts: 10,514 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

But could I not just buy a retail version, install it on laptop. When I end up building new PC, I could format the laptop completely, and install on the PC instead?

The license is for 1 PC, but not 1 specific PC, right?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

dulpit wrote: »
    But could I not just buy a retail version, install it on laptop. When I end up building new PC, I could format the laptop completely, and install on the PC instead?

The license is for 1 PC, but not 1 specific PC, right?
    yes the retail license is transferable, and can be installed on either but not both.

however, if you buy an upgrade retail license and you upgrade from an oem then the retail license becomes an oem and is no longer transferrable :(

The best option would be to find a transferrable license and upgrade it.

On the bargain alerts forum there is a cheap upgrade for windows 7, but only if you are a student or parent/guardian/family and non-commercial and other conditions.

edit - link http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055802877

in general you can't move existing installations between different machines because windows NT and it's descendents will almost certainly blue screen with a stop 07 if the harddrive controller uses a different chipset, you may not even get to a blue screen if the machines need a different HAL - in either case you would have to reinstall over the top to get the new HW drivers picked up

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Overheal wrote: »
    Not Cheap. You would need a Retail Windows 7 License. Microsoft may be nice with a phonecall and allow you to transfer the license to the new motherboard on an OEM license provided the old board was destroyed. But idk, Ive never had to do any of this.
    Just because the person on the phone authorises it don't mean you aren't breaking the license terms and conditions. :(

in many cases they are subcontracted out and so aren't microsoft employees

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Runs for 60 days I think, should keep you going till you get your new PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭roryq

Handy link explains windows 7 licensing..

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1514&page=2

Advertisement