Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running with weights

• 19-01-2010 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Guys,

I just need advice in relation to strength training.

I'm toying with the idea of running one day a week, maybe just a mile or two with some leg weights.

Has anyone any views on this, good idea or bad idea. Has anyone done this and how did they find it? I don't want to join a gym but want to strengthen up for 2010 season.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Excaptain wrote: »
    I'm toying with the idea of running one day a week, maybe just a mile or two with some leg weights.

Depends on what area of the body you are trying to build up. If looking for leg strength you might be better off running with a weighted back-pack. Leg weights place the weight at the furthest point from the fulcrum (your hips) and will only serve to slow down your leg movement while building the ability to wear heavy footwear.

Just my 2$/ worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I wouldnt advise weights on the legs while running it is an old school training method that has been found to invite injury.
    In terms of strength training just to clarify i presume you are talking power within leg muscles rather than endurance and strength i would advise the following.

Power: lower body targeted weight training such as squats etc. and plyometrics for explosive power

Strength: hill running

If i can get more info i can would be better able to give more advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Excaptain wrote: »
    Guys,

I just need advice in relation to strength training.

Has anyone any views on this, good idea or bad idea. Has anyone done this and how did they find it? I don't want to join a gym but want to strengthen up for 2010 season.

Thanks

I'd rather do some hill running to running with weights, years ago I did try a few things, running with weights , running in shallow water but hills are your only man..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Excaptain

Thanks for the advice guys. After reading the advice given I may just stick with the hills!

Thanks again

Advertisement